Arm extension after POC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Another area to consider, is how the grip of the bat effects the bat path and extension.
The grip changes as the swing progresses. a death grip will definitely mess things up downstream.
I use backchaining quite abit, its not possible to backchain with the ball on the tee, so i start with contact, almost always.
I will move the tee around to show how extension, and contact with body rotation, idealy, should work.

last night i did use direction, (Howe) and explain how the the hands will tell your body where to go after launch.
outsidetocontactslo-M.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
In other words, "uptick"? Ie, top-hand tip-and-rip-driven uptick plus overlap-driven lower body rotation=whip. In slow motion, that's Tewks' old "turn the barrel" video that shows the swing over in the instant it takes to turn the barrel behind him, everything else is aftermath.

As far as extension "past" contact goes it can be a problem if a hitter holds the box, chicken wings or prematurely rolls wrist/slaps their back. A good cue to fixing/gaining understanding of the right action is "throw the top hand past the bottom hand", a little more detailed take on FFS's "throw" cues....

Cabrera_hands_side.gif

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I've never taught the swing after POC. The ball is already gone. It always seemed to me that if you did everything right before POC, then what happens after POC will be a natural result of that swing. Could I ask why you think this is important?

Disregard this post. Carry on!

May 12, 2008
I had a first session with a HS baseball player this past weekend. His swing is a big stack of some pretty significant flaws. Among them is an improper understanding of extension through and after contact (he keeps his lead elbow pinned to his torso). IMO, getting him to understand how to get proper extension after contact will open the pathway to improved action into contact.
Photo 4 of 31, Analysis

Lead arm proximity to the chest varies with the hitter and with pitch location even among elite hitters ime. More frequent problem is pushing the hands forward/getting the lead arm away from the chest too much/too soon ime. I'd suggest focusing on function over form. Does the arm action keep the bat connected to the rotating torso would be my suggested focus. That can happen or not happen with a variety of arm actions.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Photo 4 of 31, Analysis

Lead arm proximity to the chest varies with the hitter and with pitch location even among elite hitters ime. More frequent problem is pushing the hands forward/getting the lead arm away from the chest too much/too soon ime. I'd suggest focusing on function over form. Does the arm action keep the bat connected to the rotating torso would be my suggested focus. That can happen or not happen with a variety of arm actions.

I'm with you, Mark. In this particular case, the hitter's current lead arm use is hindering his movements into and through contact. For him, I think improving his understanding of how things should be after contact will be helpful. That said, there are other issues that also have to be addressed. Lead arm action is not the only problem.

May 12, 2008
I think improving his understanding of how things should be after contact will be helpful. .

Certainly can be. I'd also suggest hitting into a heavy bag or mat to stop the bat where the tee would be (hopefully between the feet). That and stop swings can be very illuminating. And of course have the hitter compare that position at contact to the same with elite hitters. Sometimes they will believe that before they will believe you and me.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This is exactly a cue I stumbled across through observing struggles with a couple of players I coach compared to some model swings here. "The bat should go from pointing back at the catchers inside shoulder" (this is the knob I assume) This "lined up with the lead arm forearm as quickly/fast as possible." idea has helped my daughter immensely the last few weeks. She was driving a lot of hard grounders which is unsatisfactory to her. We made the adjustment Mark H referred to. The last two weeks 8/9 with mostly line drives or towering rips.

Not following the cue. Consider marking up a GIF or photo.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Certainly can be. I'd also suggest hitting into a heavy bag or mat to stop the bat where the tee would be (hopefully between the feet). That and stop swings can be very illuminating. And of course have the hitter compare that position at contact to the same with elite hitters. Sometimes they will believe that before they will believe you and me.

After our brief session, I emailed him a video clip of his own swing (including slo-mo), links to a few pertinent MLB swings, and some information on specific areas he should be looking at while making a comparison. We shall see how it goes. I didn't get a sense that he has a lot of self-awareness regarding what his body is doing. Being that he's not my kid, I'm hopeful that he might actually listen to me. ;)

May 12, 2008
Not following the cue. Consider marking up a GIF or photo.
I assume the question isn't addressed to me but please let me offer that by "pointing at the catcher's inside shoulder" I meant the point in the swing where the bat is parallel to pitch path also sometimes called, by Right View, the "lag" position.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl