Arm extension after POC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Perhaps we can explore extension vs whip/bat roughly parallel to the lead arm forearm at contact before you teach me your definition of chicken winged?

So, you are fine with a hitter's bat being 'roughly parrallel to the lead arm'. Regardless how contorted the front arm has to get into in order for the bat to be 'roughly parrallel to the lead arm.
Post #120 bold...

May 12, 2008
If I promise to come back to your concerns later can we focus on the question of extension the op asked about?

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
If I promise to come back to your concerns later can we focus on the question of extension the op asked about?

Mark. I am sure I did not explained it thoroughly to her about extending after poc. When we were learning to bring the back elbow in, during the swing. I did not mentioned anything about the follow through. What she has been doing is keeping the back elbow in and not extending after contact. I just realized what she has been doing. So now I have to correct that. I would love to post a video but my computer does not like my gopro video. This is why I was asking about drills to help with extension.

May 12, 2008
OK I look forward to seeing more of her. In any case, my sole point in putting up the teenage boy's swing was to show he was NOT extended at contact and yet a frame later was. The point is, good "extension" does not come from the arm extending/pushing. Good "extension" is a result of the bat whipping forward so powerfully that it PULLS the arms into extension as the arms slow the bat down. Can something similar looking be done with a push? Yes but that would be form at the expense of function. Point is, I'd work on good rotation, connecting that rotation to the bat etc. Do that and "extension" will happen on it's own. I would NOT do any drills to accomplish "extension". Most kids have a push as one of their faults and working on creating extension rather than letting it happen as a result will likely create a push disconnect.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
Mark. I wasn't sure if you had posted the right video. Yes, the boy you posted is reaching full extension. My dd's arms do not extent like the boy's. She hits the ball and then rotates her body like a normal swing and tries to keep the rear elbow close and rolls her wrist after contact. My dd has gotten in a habit of fighting the arm flying out b/c she thinks that is the right thing to do. I just need to teacher that it is ok for her arm to extent b/c of the bat pulling her arm out. That is what we want to happen. I will explain to her what you are telling me about pushing the bat. We will also be working on the missing frames.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
OK I look forward to seeing more of her. In any case, my sole point in putting up the teenage boy's swing was to show he was NOT extended at contact and yet a frame later was. The point is, good "extension" does not come from the arm extending/pushing. Good "extension" is a result of the bat whipping forward so powerfully that it PULLS the arms into extension as the arms slow the bat down. Can something similar looking be done with a push? Yes but that would be form at the expense of function. Point is, I'd work on good rotation, connecting that rotation to the bat etc. Do that and "extension" will happen on it's own. I would NOT do any drills to accomplish "extension". Most kids have a push as one of their faults and working on creating extension rather than letting it happen as a result will likely create a push disconnect.

I agree that extension does not come from pushing, but rather the hands are pulled to extension by the bat. However, a quick check of MLB video (Albert, Mig, Buster), extension of the rear arm is underway going into contact. I'm having trouble with the idea that zero extension of the rear arm happens until after contact. Do you have any video of HL swings where there is no extension prior to contact?

The point I was making before is that, for some kids, extension doesn't "happen on it's own". It sounds like sbc's DD very likely fits into that category. Some kids need to be shown the proper movement very deliberately. Teaching them that it's not a pushing movement that gets them there is part of the process, too, as is understanding where "there" is.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Good "extension" is a result of the bat whipping forward so powerfully that it PULLS the arms into extension as the arms slow the bat down.

Mark, remember when you used to use the word "horsepucky"? :D

Good "extension" is the combination of a couple of things. Stalling the rear arm is not one of them. The fact is, the arms are already in the act of "extending" long before the barrel gets out in front of them. You may want to clean up your definition of "PULLS"... If I were you, I'd start with understanding the difference between centripetal and centrifugal forces. Or a circular vs. rotational-to-linear hand-path.
TroutHands.gif

btw, still posting those vid's from Siggys? I hope your understanding isn't as dated.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl