Are we all getting less girls playing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
It's an easier sport to play. My best friend's daughter just committed to play at SUNY Binghamton, a big D1 in upstate NY. Neither he nor his wife ever played the game, and his daughter never took lessons. They're not expected to travel after they commit, so once school ball ends, she won't play until she gets to college. He will play local events next summer to keep her sharp, but that's it.

She's a 2024, and her travel is done already. And she got 75%.

Now compare that to softball.

Not bashing at all, but a friend told me about a girl he knows well (friend of his DD) who got a full ride at a D1 for Lacrosse and she started playing at 15. Not sure where the list of "Best sports to put your kids into to get a full ride", but softball must certainly be far lower down than LAX.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not bashing at all, but a friend told me about a girl he knows well (friend of his DD) who got a full ride at a D1 for Lacrosse and she started playing at 15. Not sure where the list of "Best sports to put your kids into to get a full ride", but softball must certainly be far lower down than LAX.
As well know of a teenager who started playing lacrosse when she got to high school and scholarshiped with it.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
It's not bashing when it's true.

This roster proves how NE-heavy lacrosse is compared to other areas of the country. USC women's lacrosse has 16 players from the NYC metro area. That includes 7 players from Long Island alone. To put that into perspective, we had 9 D1 softball commits across all of Long Island for the class of 2022. Long Island has approximately 3 million residents.

Jun 8, 2016
It's not bashing when it's true.

This roster proves how NE-heavy lacrosse is compared to other areas of the country. USC women's lacrosse has 16 players from the NYC metro area. That includes 7 players from Long Island alone. To put that into perspective, we had 9 D1 softball commits across all of Long Island for the class of 2022. Long Island has approximately 3 million residents.

When I was growing up, only the rich kids in the Boston suburbs played Lacrosse 😂

Jun 8, 2016
When I was growing up, I never heard of Lacrosse down here, as a matter of fact I never heard of fastpitch either, neither were here!
I didn't know of it till HS when we would travel North to Boston to play prep schools in baseball. The first time we did I saw these weirdo running around with sticks and asked what it was. Interesting note, Jim Brown may have been a better Lacrosse player than football player..

My sister played fastpitch so I knew what that was.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I didn't know of it till HS when we would travel North to Boston to play prep schools in baseball. The first time we did I saw these weirdo running around with sticks and asked what it was. Interesting note, Jim Brown may have been a better Lacrosse player than football player..

My sister played fastpitch so I knew what that was.
Anna used to take hitting lessons from the coach at Belmont Abbey college, she had a lesson one weekday afternoon and the hitting facility is outside behind left center field.

There’s a huge open field where they practice a lot of different sports, the men’s Lacrosse team just happened to be practicing there that day so I was watching Anna hit and that team practice. About that time a Lacrosse ball practically rolled right to my feet, a kid that looked like he was a 1/4 mile away was headed towards me. I picked up that ball and was shocked at how heavy and dense it was, as in something to inflict a lot of pain!

I realized that day I’d much rather be hit with a baseball or softball! I bet Lacrosse players have a lot of nasty bruises!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad