Are Midrange bats a thing for a HS player?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2024
DD is 16 and just finished her sophomore HS season. She was part time (committed to soccer but soured on the coach/atmosphere so she started "moonlighting" on the softball team). She is going to play full time next year and will be a starter (her team has trouble recruiting and her coach has already indicated she will.start). She played a few years of rec but has been out of the sport for 4 years. She's not going to join a travel team, and probably isn't interested in playing in college. All this to say I don't know that she needs a Ghost or LXT level bat or anything that costs $400+? Is there anything midrange worth buying?

I have a much more serious DS playing baseball and another DD (9) who has just started her softball journey so might be here a while. ?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Buy a bat on clearance instead of the latest model. Mizuno bats are cheap, but some swear by them. Anderson bats are good performers for great prices. Or maybe look towards a used bat on Sideline Swap.

As you know from your son, those USSSA and BBCOR bats are really expensive. Save a few bucks by purchasing clearance bats.

Oct 14, 2019
DD is 16 and just finished her sophomore HS season. She was part time (committed to soccer but soured on the coach/atmosphere so she started "moonlighting" on the softball team). She is going to play full time next year and will be a starter (her team has trouble recruiting and her coach has already indicated she will.start). She played a few years of rec but has been out of the sport for 4 years. She's not going to join a travel team, and probably isn't interested in playing in college. All this to say I don't know that she needs a Ghost or LXT level bat or anything that costs $400+? Is there anything midrange worth buying?

I have a much more serious DS playing baseball and another DD (9) who has just started her softball journey so might be here a while. ?
There's always bats on Facebook Marketplace from a kid who "swung it 50 times and didn't like it.". We just got a nearly new 2024 LXT for $200. And you can find used composite bats like a Mizuno for not much more than $100. Definitely get some kind of composite bat. Figure out the right size by swinging teammates' bats. There's not really "midrange" priced composite bats at retail. But some depreciate a whole lot quicker.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
just keep on mind the fact that bat weights can be off by as much as 2 ounces, so a 32-22 by one manufacturer doesn't have to be the same as one by another manufacturer. There is a bat weight table that will you give a general idea of which bat makers are accurate and which are not.

May 21, 2024
Buy a bat on clearance instead of the latest model. Mizuno bats are cheap, but some swear by them. Anderson bats are good performers for great prices. Or maybe look towards a used bat on Sideline Swap.

As you know from your son, those USSSA and BBCOR bats are really expensive. Save a few bucks by purchasing clearance bats.
Thanks for the clearance recommendation. Is there a certain time of year that clearance typically happens? My luck it just ended, lol. I also understand there are supported vendors here that may have prices lower than local B&M stores?

I should probably re-phrase about my DS. He is serious about the sport but he's still young (7.5yo) so he's not into super expensive equipment just yet. He's obsessed and throws like a rocket (and with accuracy) which amazes me daily, and can hit off the machine at his rec league to the outfield, so it seems he might be the one that pushes us towards TB if he stays with it.

May 21, 2024
There's always bats on Facebook Marketplace from a kid who "swung it 50 times and didn't like it.". We just got a nearly new 2024 LXT for $200. And you can find used composite bats like a Mizuno for not much more than $100. Definitely get some kind of composite bat. Figure out the right size by swinging teammates' bats. There's not really "midrange" priced composite bats at retail. But some depreciate a whole lot quicker.

I've browsed FB marketplace just a little bit, but honestly it seems like for the $$ most people are asking it seems like a better idea to buy new with a warranty. I guess that's the risk-adverse part of my personality coming out.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I've browsed FB marketplace just a little bit, but honestly it seems like for the $$ most people are asking it seems like a better idea to buy new with a warranty. I guess that's the risk-adverse part of my personality coming out.
Some are on clearance now. Did you know what size you're looking for? I can certainly help you.

Nov 7, 2022
I’ve had some great luck on eBay. Play it again sports can be decent. I’ve noticed Amazon sells some bats for very cheap based on size and weight - the LXT from 2023 was going for 50% off recently. My 14u is swinging a 1 piece worth bat from 2016 that she has done well with. My 9u has inherited her older sisters demarini zenith and likes it. The Demarini sprite and zenith are well priced for 2 piece bats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 17, 2019
Thanks for the clearance recommendation. Is there a certain time of year that clearance typically happens? My luck it just ended, lol.
Black Friday used to be THE time to buy. Since Covid, the deals have been less spectacular though. Still the most reliable time to find a deal though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach