Appalled by conduct of assistant coach of Syracuse

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I may be the only male coach who has worked as an assistant at a university. So I have a better idea of what goes on and why certain things happen during college games. In the 6 years I was an assistant coach I was only kicked out of 1 game due to ball and strike not IP being called. In my particular situation no matter where the ball was pitched by either my pitcher or the other teams pitcher it was a ball. The umpire wanted in straight in the middle at the waist. My head coach was constantly getting in the umpires face about the strike zone. Finally the umpire told her that was it no more. So around the 6th innign after about 10 walks I decided it was time to send a message. I came out and confronted the umpire and was kicked out. But I got message across about the strike zone. Because when I walked away we all noticed how the strike were being called.

So what happened with the Syracuse assistant went out to take the heat. We talk about the assisant coach what about the male umpire coming and chest buming him before he kicked him out along with the other umpire. Any contact from any one coach or umpire should have disciplinary action against them.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
The only reason that coach should have been on the field was to thank the ump for not calling the 50 or so IP's that were not called that allowed them to win the game. Not crying about the 16 that were called.

Oct 19, 2009
Saskatchewan
the biggest problem with ip is umpires don't crack down on it during the season usually but they wait til there is a championship round going on and decide to call it so what are coaches and athletes supposed to do when all year they don't get a warning or called but all of a sudden late in an important game they decide to call it. if i know my pitcher is doing something to gain an advantage i'm not gonna change what she is doing. its not cheating until you get called so the umpires should make a better effort to make these calls in less important games and it would clean up a lot of this mess.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I hear you, gummi...but, it really wasn't a matter of cracking down during the CWS.

During the season, there are only two umpires--one behind the plate, and the other in the field. The field umpire is way too busy to be watching the pitcher on every pitch. At the CWS, though, they had three umpires. The third base umpire would literally stare at the pitcher through her windup and pitch. All the 3rd base umps did their job the same way. So, as a result, there were a lot of IPs called.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
the biggest problem with ip is umpires don't crack down on it during the season usually but they wait til there is a championship round going on and decide to call it so what are coaches and athletes supposed to do when all year they don't get a warning or called but all of a sudden late in an important game they decide to call it. if i know my pitcher is doing something to gain an advantage i'm not gonna change what she is doing. its not cheating until you get called so the umpires should make a better effort to make these calls in less important games and it would clean up a lot of this mess.

Wow - nice glimpse of personal integrity. I guess it's not cheating to you either when shaved bats are used - as long as they're not caught, right? Hopefully your child or loved one isn't the random player injured or killed by that shaved bat.

As for calling IPs during the year, when did it become the umpire's responsibility for YOU to teach and for YOUR players to play the game by the rules?

Umpires that routinely call IPs in college ball (according to my own UIC who did college ball for years and still schedules umpires for college ball) do NOT get many assignments once the word goes out from coach to coach. Because it is still a customer-oriented business where the umpires are performing a service and those that do not perform the level of service expected by the college coach are often blacklisted.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles

WRONG! It is absolutley cheating, whether or not you get caught is totally irrelevant. I'm praying that my daughter never plays for a coach with this kind of attitude. Pitching legally is the responsibility of the pitcher and her coaches, go read the rulebook it clearly states what an illegal pitch is. If the only way you can win is by cheating, shame on you...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy