Appalled by conduct of assistant coach of Syracuse

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The NCAA in March of this year clarified the rules for illegal pitching. The NCAA put out a video clarifying what was and was not an illegal pitch.

In the 7th inning of the conference championship game between Louisville and Syracuse, the Syracuse assistant coach went crazy on an umpire because she called an illegal pitch on the Syracuse player. According to the NCAA video, the Syracuse pitcher was, in fact, pitching illegally.

The assistant coach is probably making $50K to a $100K per year. The umpire is making, maybe, $250 a game. The whole thing was disgusting, including the head coach Leigh gloating over on the sideline as the assistant coach got tossed.

Here is the NCAA video on illegal pitching:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SY1YZ02mK3I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SY1YZ02mK3I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I saw this as well. Let me tell you that the end of that game was surely kept me on the edge of my seat, with the coach being thrown out and the play to end the ball game. I was shocked that he behaved that way. What is the penalty for him being thrown out?

Dec 28, 2008
No penalty imo. Getting thrown out of the game rallies the troops more then hurts most of the time.

Especially when it is the batting coach. He shouldn't have even been allowed on the field. His being kicked out didn't hurt at all, and like you say it only served to rally the troops. Of course continued lack of placement by the Lousiville slappers didn't help their cause either.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
If you watch on TV, they keep replaying this game so you might be able to catch it. For instance, it is on now. This is about the third time I've seen it. Almost as bad as the Houston and Tulsa game that was on all weekend about a month ago.

May 4, 2010
I agree his behavior was not a great choice at all, however I do think I can understand the frustration that the coaches and pitcher must of been feeling with what seemed like major inconsistency on the part of the umpires. Yes she was pitching illegally, but she did not change her pitching and continued to pitch in the same manner and yet they didn't call those illegal pitches. She didn't correct the lifting of the pivot foot from what I could tell watching, but they seemed to just call illegal here and there when in reality almost every pitch should of been called.

I can see fault on both sides, umpires not calling it consistently and coaches/pitchers knowing that they are pitching illegally yet let them pitch until they get caught.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So, Syracuse lost to Oklahoma 10-0. The pitcher went 2/3 inning and then was pulled. In the first inning, with a runner at third, she was called for an illegal pitch, a run came in, and the coach pulled her. Perhaps someone could have pointed this out to her earlier in the year...

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
So, Syracuse lost to Oklahoma 10-0. The pitcher went 2/3 inning and then was pulled. In the first inning, with a runner at third, she was called for an illegal pitch, a run came in, and the coach pulled her. Perhaps someone could have pointed this out to her earlier in the year...

The NCAA should have sent out a letter or something telling the players and coaches the rules would actually be enforced this year...or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy