Anybody see this last weekend?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
Doesn't look intentional to me but maybe she is a better actress then I am giving her credit for

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Doesn't look intentional to me but maybe she is a better actress then I am giving her credit for

What makes it appear possibly intentional is how quickly she recovers and makes the play.

If I had to pick between her selling the hell out of the acting job or being such a great, smart player that she can immediately recover from a mistake, I'm probably going with the latter.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Oklahome would not be able to pull that off against a couple of high school players I know because they would've taken off on contact with no thought of tagging up.

I'm considering teaching my infielders to intentionally let every infield pop up drop in infield fly situations because I'm pretty sure 90% of the time the runners will run and we will get an easy double/triple play out of it.

Dec 15, 2021
100% intentional. Easy double play. The way the shortstop took the throw and immediately threw to third, this is practiced as well. Because the angle of the ball was dropping basically straight down at her feet, it was a minimal risk situation of a ball "squirting" away from her.

Jun 8, 2016
100% intentional. Easy double play. The way the shortstop took the throw and immediately threw to third, this is practiced as well.
I don't necessarily disagree although I am guessing Lyons would probably do that without practice..She makes the right play about 200% of the time ;)

Probably helps to have a former SS playing CF there too with regards to manipulating her glove to get it to drop like she wanted it to..

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2014
100% intentional. Easy double play. The way the shortstop took the throw and immediately threw to third, this is practiced as well. Because the angle of the ball was dropping basically straight down at her feet, it was a minimal risk situation of a ball "squirting" away from her.
I still don't see it. Appears she is genuinely surprised by the drop and reacts quickly but was not watching the ball fall. It's not illegal to let the ball drop so no need for her to pretend

Edited to add. What I see is a heads up player who makes a great recovery from an uncharacteristic mistake

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I still don't see it. Appears she is genuinely surprised by the drop and reacts quickly but was not watching the ball fall. It's not illegal to let the ball drop so no need for her to pretend

Edited to add. What I see is a heads up player who makes a great recovery from an uncharacteristic mistake

Do I believe they might practice a play like this? Yes.

Do I believe part of that practice is acting surprised? No.

Just curious: Has anybody asked her if it was on purpose? As benjey says, it's not illegal so there'd be no harm in saying so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA