Another scoring question....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I always enjoy seeing the comments on situational scoring from various members on DFP, so I thought I would post my latest scenario from this weekend. Ball hit into shallow left field. SS goes back to make the catch, and the LF pulls up instead of calling off the SS, even thought it would have been a routine catch for the LF. Ball tips off the end of the SS's glove and drops.

1) Error on the SS?
2) Error on the LF for not calling her off?
3) Charge your pitcher with giving up a base hit?

As a coaching staff we got onto the LF for not "taking charge" and making the play!

Mar 13, 2010
Error shortstop.

No error to LF.

Not a single.

As coaches you should be getting onto the lf to over called but as a scorer not her error.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
14A - error SS. Even if the LF didn't call her off, if it hit her glove, at 14A SS needs to make the catch.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
14A - error SS. Even if the LF didn't call her off, if it hit her glove, at 14A SS needs to make the catch.

In defense of the SS, she was running pretty fast and was stretching to get a glove on it. It was NOT a "can of corn" fly ball that she booted, which is why we got onto the LF for not calling her off and making the routine play!!! We teach our SS and 2B to go after short OF fly balls until they are called off.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Here is another scenario from this weekend: shallow pop fly between 1B and pitching circle. 1B and P are both moving to catch it when the 2B calls for the ball. 2B ends up having to make a diving catch because the ball was not as high as she originally thought and she was playing deep. 1B and P "pull up" when they heard the 2B call for the ball (2B has priority in our defense). If the ball had dropped with no one catching it, do you score it an error on the 2B since she called it and did not make the catch? Give an error to 1B or P for watching the ball drop right between them? Charge your pitcher with giving up a hit?

Nov 29, 2009
No error on the SS or the LF. I sucks for the pitcher, but it would be scored a hit. Errors are charged on routine plays. A SS dropping back hard to get a ball that "was an easy catch" for the LF is NOT routine effort. Just because it touches the glove does not make it an error.

Nov 29, 2009
If the ball had dropped with no one catching it, do you score it an error on the 2B since she called it and did not make the catch? Give an error to 1B or P for watching the ball drop right between them? Charge your pitcher with giving up a hit?

Again, you can not charge an error on a mental mistake. Diving for the ball and missing it is not routine effort. The pitcher takes the knock. It would be scored a hit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz