Another Rules question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Comp,

What is the call on a thrown ball that defects off of a player and then goes into dead ball territory? Do the base awards differ? I don't have a rule book in front of me.

Jun 22, 2008
One more thought on the call. Did the ball go into dead ball territory after it hit the runner? That would have an effect on the call, or did the ump specifically "Hit the runner." was a reason he made the call he did?

Even if the ball had gone into dead ball territory, the outcome of the call was still incorrect. On a ball thrown into dead ball territory, the award is 2 bases from the time of the throw.

Jun 11, 2013
It's very hard to argue a made up rule. If you are arguing a real rule such as the size of the catcher's box you can show the Ump the rule number and section. It's a little harder to prove that something is not a rule.

Jun 22, 2008
Comp,

What is the call on a thrown ball that defects off of a player and then goes into dead ball territory? Do the base awards differ? I don't have a rule book in front of me.

Base award on a thrown ball that goes into dead ball territory is 2 bases from the time of the throw. The only time it would be different is if the ball was deflected, and then another defensive player somehow gave it the additional force that sent it out of play. Then it is 2 bases from the time the force was applied to the ball that sent it out of play.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Comp, the whole tournament was off with the umpires.

They thought the catchers box was the same as baseball, they had the wrong game times early in the day, one guy wouldn't ask for help on a play. The other ump actually said between innings he would have changed the call. There was an issue with allowing metal cleats the day before,etc.

It certainly didn't cost us or the other team the game, but some basic rules were missed. We usually have great umps in our games so it was a little off.

That's what happens when unqualified umpires are assigned tournaments for which they are not qualified. Too many "good friends" or "long timers" who "deserved" the tournament because of their longevity, not their skill.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13