Another playing up question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 27, 2015
Both teams have called and asked for her, she has practiced with both teams. She currently plays on an A/B team but we are moving which means she needs a new team.

Size wise, she is about 40lbs lighter than any of the girls on the 12u team and a good 6" shorter than most of them. She is also smaller than most of the 10u team, I think only one of them is shorter than she is.

Skill wise, she can easily play 12u. Last year she played up as the 12u catcher for a team that did not have a full time one. Their catcher had a dad that on his weekends, would not allow his daughter to play.

Both teams are really good but the 12u team is slightly more challenging and will be playing more tournaments. The 10u team is an A team, 12u is a B.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Interesting.

Does your DD have a preference?

The A team has the advantage that they will play other A teams, and she will see a tough level of competition.
The B team is 12U, which some girls enjoy more because of the bigger balls and greater distance to the plate.
However, one of the biggest complaints about 10U is that lower level tournaments, such as C level tournaments and a few B, sometimes have local rules such as no base stealing or no walks, with coach pitch after 4 balls. Usually you don't see that in A teams.

Another question is, the organization. For some organizations, they give a very strong preference, or even a safe spot, to returning players. Is the A organization a really good one that, once you get to 16u or even 14u, will be playing college showcases?

Apr 8, 2013
Both teams have called and asked for her, she has practiced with both teams. She currently plays on an A/B team but we are moving which means she needs a new team.

Size wise, she is about 40lbs lighter than any of the girls on the 12u team and a good 6" shorter than most of them. She is also smaller than most of the 10u team, I think only one of them is shorter than she is.

Skill wise, she can easily play 12u. Last year she played up as the 12u catcher for a team that did not have a full time one. Their catcher had a dad that on his weekends, would not allow his daughter to play.

Both teams are really good but the 12u team is slightly more challenging and will be playing more tournaments. The 10u team is an A team, 12u is a B.

Sounds like you need to find a real A team in 10u. If she dominates there, then move up. But I doubt that will be the case.

Edit: and I say that because 99% of the time 10u dominance is because they are 40lbs heavier and/or 6" taller than their fellow 10u players. In 10u size matters. In 12u, lack of size gets exposed.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
DD2 started 10U at age 8. Playing with better and older girls made her better and she held her own. Long story short, she is now in her 3rd year of 12's because last years team had to go to 14's. We felt she needed to have her year in 12's and it is working out good. We are playing 14's local and 12 out of state. I don't think size matters if girls can hit/pitch/catch/field at the same level as someone older.

Apr 8, 2013
DD2 started 10U at age 8. Playing with better and older girls made her better and she held her own. Long story short, she is now in her 3rd year of 12's because last years team had to go to 14's. We felt she needed to have her year in 12's and it is working out good. We are playing 14's local and 12 out of state. I don't think size matters if girls can hit/pitch/catch/field at the same level as someone older.

At the 10u level it does. Smaller ball. 35' pitching distance. I've seen plenty of rock stars in 10u who were 6" taller, 40lbs heavier than almost everyone else that turned into average or below average in 12u.

Sep 27, 2015
She is never going to be a big kid, she will maybe top out at 5' and 100lbs. But she has the heart of a lion. I think I will put her on a solid 10u team for one more year. She can only continue to get better and once she moves up to 12u, she will be better off I think. Plus if the 10u team works out, she will age up with them next year.

Thanks everyone!

Feb 3, 2016
Love these playing up threads. I have an age 7 girl playing on a 10U team and we will have some challenges ahead of her at some point.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was tiny, smallest player on the field most games.

One of the nice things about SB is no one cared.

She was judged on her ability not her size.

I would hope your DD has the same experience.

(DD was pitching against a Team that every player was twice her size. DW said these players are huge, we need to check thier birth certificates. DD turned to her and said, that just means they have a big strike zone.)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2013
Sounds like the biggest issue might be hand size and the 12" ball. 8 year olds can throw a 12" ball, but not very well. I realize as a catcher she can get to ball to second base. Many can, but can she get the ball there effectively enough to get the out and make a difference.

I have the same issue with my daughter who is the same age, but she is bigger and has big hands so no trouble with the ball size. A better time to test these waters would have been in the fall. The problem with making the move now is that if she gets 2 months in and can't quite cut it she can easily become and bench player which would essentially turn into a waste of valuable playing time she would get in 10U. I would try to find the best 10U "A" travel ball teams you can. Not saying don't go. Just saying to be as sure as possible if you do.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13