Another BUNT question Bretman

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 16, 2010
We all know that bunt foul on 3rd strike is an out. However, what about a slapper who is dragging bat through zone and not swinging? Is she bunting which is an out or is she hitting which is a foul ball still 2 strikes?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I'm sure the umpires on the forum will provide a definitive answer. But as I understand it, a drag bunt is still a bunt and she is out. An attempted slap, however, is a swing and she is still alive. In the end, it could come down to the umpire's judgment.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Whether or not an attempt to hit a pitch is a "swing" or a "bunt" is up to the umpire's judgment. A typical full swing is pretty easy to judge, and so is the opposite, where a batter is standing still holding the bat across the plate to tap the ball for a bunt. Somewhere in between those two obvious actions is the slap (and the variations you might see, like slapping the ball for a hit versus a drag bunt). But there are things the umpire can watch for to help form his judgment.

Generally, if the bat is being brought around into the hitting zone from a position normally associated with a swing, then the offer is ruled as a swing. Think of the bat head traveling in an arc, from behind the batter's head to a point over the plate. If the bat head had followed that sort of arcing path to the ball, then you can call it a swing- even if the batter stops the momentum of the bat over the plate.

On a drag bunt, the batter will usually drop the bat straight down and hold it in a bunting position as she moves forward in the box. In that case, the bat head did not follow an arcing path to the ball and the offer can be ruled as a bunt.

There can be a fine line between a "swing" and a "bunt". Most every slapper I see uses a motion that I would call a swing. Very few seem to use the drag bunt technique nowadays.

Aug 16, 2010
Thanks - I most often see the inevitable argument develop when its a younger RH hitter who is batting from left side and is not yet an accomplished slapper. Often these girls will drag or pull bat through zone and will not "swing." Sometimes umpire will call it if you point it out before 3rd strike. I've had an umpire tell me if the feet are moving its a slap - of course I had to count to ten and go sit down on that one.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves