Advice to starting Travel Program

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hello all! 3rd season head coach with all experience being in Rec ball. I have found an organization that has been specializing in Travel Baseball for the last 14 years that is wanting to broaden their outreach to girls through softball. I have been actively talking with the owner of the organization and am looking to start up a 10U program and hopefully help develop out the softball side of the house.

What I am looking to hopefully get from this is some advice on recruitment and getting players in. I am not expecting to find AAA players or anything of the sorts, I am just trying to find the best way to get some interest going. In my own searches looking for a 10U team most all of them are at least an hour away. There is 1 10U team that I know if in the area currently which the way they carry rosters in Softball that would leave a lot of girls out.

I am currently hitting up the facebook groups with my flyer and have a google signup sheet that has gotten 0 traffic. There are about 3 girls that I want to talk to in my rec organization that are definitely ready to make the step from rec to travel/tournament ball.

How do I position a team that I see as being developmental and ranked BB/B in TopGun to prospective parents? I have a vision of how I want to run the program but I feel like people don't care much for long winded explanations (like this one). Hoping to get some insight from the other coaches out there living it.

Thanks!

Nov 23, 2021
SC
what area of SC? what org? most 10u teams have had their teams filled being that our season started in mid February. best bet is to talk to the rec girls. Also just post open work outs, not necessarily a try out post. Lots of girls like to get extra reps and its a good way to talk to parents.

Nov 23, 2021
SC
Elite 9? if so i would add to your flyer, all positions considered. seems like that area would have more teams but theres not for some reason.

Apr 25, 2019
Also, timing may be an issue. A lot of girls already have a team. Spring is just cranking up so people may not be disgruntled enough to swap teams. You may want to either wait for Summer or even the Fall to start a team from scratch.

Elite 9? if so i would add to your flyer, all positions considered. seems like that area would have more teams but theres not for some reason.

Yeh Elite 9, lol. I believe that there is another team called the Palmetto Dragons in the FtMill area as well. I think the girls that were playing just all aged up and no one has stepped up to fill the gap which is what I am trying to do. I know there are numerous 12-14U teams operating in the area. Elite 9 even has a HS/Showcase team as well. I appreciate the advice I will see about adding more to it and get it back out there. I am really open looking for any and all, even willing to carry a bit larger roster as the top gun rules allow for you to bat only 9. Not sure how well it would work but seems like it can allow for flexibility for families and girls even on tournament days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, timing may be an issue. A lot of girls already have a team. Spring is just cranking up so people may not be disgruntled enough to swap teams. You may want to either wait for Summer or even the Fall to start a team from scratch.

Yeh we are aiming for summer, tryouts are set for April 23 to start working out and getting ready to hit in summer and fall. I have to finish my rec season out which ends mid May. Really just trying to get a jump due to how long it takes for uniforms and the like.

Nov 23, 2021
SC
Yeh Elite 9, lol. I believe that there is another team called the Palmetto Dragons in the FtMill area as well. I think the girls that were playing just all aged up and no one has stepped up to fill the gap which is what I am trying to do. I know there are numerous 12-14U teams operating in the area. Elite 9 even has a HS/Showcase team as well. I appreciate the advice I will see about adding more to it and get it back out there. I am really open looking for any and all, even willing to carry a bit larger roster as the top gun rules allow for you to bat only 9. Not sure how well it would work but seems like it can allow for flexibility for families and girls even on tournament days.

we play TG all the time and you CAN bat more than nine, we batted 12 this weekend in pool games but only the best 9 for bracket.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I broke out into a cold sweat just reading this.

If there's enough demand for a new team in your area, you'll likely get off the ground. It's staying airborne that's the challenge. From observation and personal experience, the teams that last are the ones where the coaches bring at least some of the pitchers and catchers. That's the "sine qua non" of both baseball and softball teams. Everything else will likely fall into place if you have some "coach's kids" who are good at those positions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13