Advice needed for 2022 recruit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
There have threads on this site discussing her swing, with the general consensus being if it continues to work for her, it might not be worth reworking.
Did I say it needed to be reworked? Yes I remember those threads (even though you never actually said it was your DD that was being discussed..). My point was that with how her swing looks, right or wrong, coaches may need to see her play against better competition in order to believe that
it will continue to succeed at their level. You can continue to make excuses as to why she isn't getting looks or look to figure what it is that she needs
to do in order to get them...your choice.

Apr 18, 2017
Did I say it needed to be reworked? Yes I remember those threads (even though you never actually said it was your DD that was being discussed..). My point was that with how her swing looks, right or wrong, coaches may need to see her play against better competition in order to believe that
it will continue to succeed at their level. You can continue to make excuses as to why she isn't getting looks or look to figure what it is that she needs
to do in order to get them...your choice.
I think you took my reply wrong. We've never had a problem with critiques, and there definitely aren't excuses. Just admitting some things we've done wrong up to this point, and discussion of the best way to move forward. I don't disagree that her unorthodox looking swing could throw some people off. I appreciate everyone's input, including yours.

Jun 8, 2016
I think you took my reply wrong.
Nah..I just lack tact most of the time.
We've never had a problem with critiques,
I wasn't critiquing the swing other than to say it looks unconventional..doesn't mean it isn't good. Angles are not good to be able
to critique it one way or the other.
and there definitely aren't excuses.
The excuse is that she has played for lower level TB teams. I am telling you that there is still time to try and remedy that a bit and the fact
that she took the initiative to look for better competition will also look good to coaches.

That said my kid is 12 and I have no experience with recruiting so I am probably just talking out of my a$% so keep that in mind..

Jun 20, 2015
well, there are several big tourneys left this fall in Ohio where her team might be playing already or possible subbing.

Lasers is at Berliner Oct 16-17th, and Premier fall Showcase is Oct 23-24 also in berliner. Warning - if her team isn't a serious showcase type squad - that premier showcase might be a painful lesson.

Also, I believe Heidelberg (D3) might have forensic science, i know they have a cadaver lab. With those scores and grades, might be worth a look.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Colleges are still hosting camps!!!!! Get on campus. Fill out those questionnaires. Many schools will still be rounding out their freshman rosters during the summer. So yeah, you have plenty of time. You need to very intentional at this point. The great thing is that your DD has the Academic stats that will open many doors and her area of study will narrow down the colleges. Sounds like a great opportunity to me.

As far as the HS numbers...they don't matter to most coaches. Coaches need to see her in person and on campus or part of bigger group of college coaches. Let's GO!!!!

Apr 18, 2017
Lasers is at Berliner Oct 16-17th, and Premier fall Showcase is Oct 23-24 also in berliner. Warning - if her team isn't a serious showcase type squad - that premier showcase might be a painful lesson.
I'm looking into sub opportunities now for those tournaments. Her current "team" would not fair well in either tournament. She is with them currently so she has a place to get continued work in, but they aren't at her level.

Also, I believe Heidelberg (D3) might have forensic science, i know they have a cadaver lab. With those scores and grades, might be worth a look.
Heidelberg was one of the schools that showed a lot of interest, unfortunately, they don't have Forensic Science. The closest is BioChem, but that is more of a pre-med path, which she isn't interested in.

Jun 20, 2015
I'm looking into sub opportunities now for those tournaments. Her current "team" would not fair well in either tournament. She is with them currently so she has a place to get continued work in, but they aren't at her level.

Heidelberg was one of the schools that showed a lot of interest, unfortunately, they don't have Forensic Science. The closest is BioChem, but that is more of a pre-med path, which she isn't interested in.
not a problem at all. If my team needs a sub, I'll be in touch for Lasers. The premier event is out of most team's league to be honest.

Jul 22, 2015
The good thing is that many D3’s will give merit money for an applicant with her academic stats. I believe the 3 schools I listed do.
Very true. Should have specified athletic money. A girl wirh the OP academic record may get a large merit scholarship.

Dec 6, 2019
You won't have any trouble finding a sub opportunity with her credentials and volleyball/homecoming opening up holes on rosters.

Jul 31, 2015
but as far as a permanent team, that would be mostly for next summer, by which point she really needs to be signed with somenone.

Nope!

My 2021 DD had a wild summer, with offers coming in from all over, including one in late July from a D1 school that usually makes it to the WCWS and several HA D3's that we were sure had full rosters. Hers was an unusual situation, but the amount of interest given the timeframe was shocking. So many slots available.

With your DD's stats, she should not have a problem getting on a brand-name team. And her academic profile will allow anyone to recruit her.

Most large tournaments have unsigned senior games and/or high academic showcase games (Zoom Into June, Fireworks, Sparkler, etc.) for players just like her. If she's not committed by next summer, be sure to attend these.

But, most important, there are two Headfirst Camps coming up in November, in Florida and Southern California. Schools attending are a who's who of HA America. About 1/4 of them are from PA or OH. If any of these schools are on her wish list, get going! It's a great camp.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles