Advice needed for 2022 recruit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
But, most important, there are two Headfirst Camps coming up in November, in Florida and Southern California. Schools attending are a who's who of HA America. About 1/4 of them are from PA or OH. If any of these schools are on her wish list, get going! It's a great camp.

x10 It's pricey, but worth EVERY penny spent. She has the ACT score that the coaches can immediately tell you yes or no on the spot!

Mar 26, 2016
I would say before attending any camps first verify they are still looking for your daughters year and position

after camp when the thank you , handshakes, and one on one meetings are happening asking for a coaches number and setting up a call time is not out of the normal. Daughter was able to have conversations with a few coaches via this channel.

Apr 18, 2017
x10 It's pricey, but worth EVERY penny spent. She has the ACT score that the coaches can immediately tell you yes or no on the spot!

100% agreement re: Headfirst camps. Great investment and lots of bang for your buck!
Seems to be some consensus with this, but let me ask a possibly dumb question. If she already knows she wants to stay in the general Ohio area, what prevents us from approaching the local schools on the list individually and save the $750+flight+hotel etc.? I know that money means little in the grand scheme of the cost of education, but...

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
For us, it was being able to be seen by so many coaches in a single trip. And getting on their radar and being invited to their own individual camps in one fell swoop. So I'd say efficiency in terms of exposure. But look at the schools on the list and if none of them have that specific major you need, then I wouldn't do it.

Jul 31, 2015
Seems to be some consensus with this, but let me ask a possibly dumb question. If she already knows she wants to stay in the general Ohio area, what prevents us from approaching the local schools on the list individually and save the $750+flight+hotel etc.? I know that money means little in the grand scheme of the cost of education, but...

Not dumb.

Here are the list of schools in PA and OH that will be at the November HF camps:

Carnegie Mellon
Case Western
Denison
Franklin and Marshall
Gettysburg
Kenyon
Lafayette
Muhlenberg
Oberlin
Swarthmore
Ursinus

So 11 out of 34 are in the geographic area you're seeking.
Nowhere else will you get this concentration of coaches in one place between now and when she graduates.

Up to you if it's worth the cost.

Jul 31, 2015
For us, it was being able to be seen by so many coaches in a single trip. And getting on their radar and being invited to their own individual camps in one fell swoop. So I'd say efficiency in terms of exposure. But look at the schools on the list and if none of them have that specific major you need, then I wouldn't do it.

^^^^^

Aug 17, 2019
I remember at the Headfirst Camp, they would have the seniors wear something that distinguished them as seniors for the coaches that were still looking for seniors. That HF camp my daughter went to in CA was in the spring a couple of years ago.

Apr 20, 2015
High level competition is in the eye of the beholder for most people and I would venture that a lot of softball players and parents have never seen true high level competition. If her team would not fair well at lasers in Ohio then I can understand why she hasn't gotten many looks. As someone else said high school means very very little since the competition is variable at best, rec league or below in some cases. Playing for a team like that she is going to have to get herself in front of coaches in person, through lots of video because they have no way to know if she can play at their level by her team and schedule. High level teams go the PGF/Alliance tier I, sparkler power pool/IDT, next level usa elite select and down from there. There is plenty of room for players from lesser teams and with lesser skills but its going to take a lot of work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feb 1, 2021
We had a somewhat similar issue of DDs major being her priority which did cause grief with some coaches.

When we felt we were desperate, (looking back on it, we shouldn't have felt that way) she used our recruiting site to email literally every coach in our state as well as every coach in the conferences she wanted to play in. Turned out to be about 55 coaches. I'd say we got approximately 20 replies, of which I'd say 6 or 7 were legit interest. That's a pretty good number considering we were in a complete holding pattern of interested schools that for one reason or another, "couldn't make an offer right now." That stuff weighs on you after a while.

Of anything we did, that ended up working the best. One of the calls she got was from a coach at a school that had her major and would let her do it. He invited us to a hitting camp and the rest is history. I think the girls on the team really worked her over perfectly, made her feel like she belonged, and she really loved it. She got an amazing offer a couple of weeks later despite them never actually seeing her play a game.

Sometimes it is just about the number of contacts. Work on the quality later. When it started with the right school though, it went really fast. Good luck!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812