Advice Needed - college freshmen - when to worry?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
First semester for EVERY freshman (including NARP's) and their parents is overwhelming and a huge adjustment. You will typically have a lot more free time than they had in HS. High school very regimented: Wake up early in the morning. Go to school ALL Day, then after school stuff, maybe softball practice or lessons. Go home, eat, homework, go to Sleep. Rinse and Repeat. College: Classes are staggered, and not everyday. You don't get to interact with the same ppl in class 5 days a week, so it's tougher to socialize.

The upperclassmen should be driving social activities and "captain's workouts" and that is the place where your DD should engage as much as possible. DD's freshman year, she came in guns a blazin' with her over the top personality and her on the field swagger. The upper classmen didn't know to think of her and some were put off by her. At other school's she would have fit in perfectly and that swagger was would have been expected. DD played TB with those types of players, but she realized that her college teammates didn't play at the same level and intensity that she did. She adjusted and cooled her jets.

DD is at a D3 and she calls for voluntary work outs almost every day and only Monday was introduced to the newly hired Head Coach. As Marriad said the coaches only get real practices for 15 days and 21 innings one game day. They have been doing lifting for 2 weeks and she has been able to socialize with the new girls inviting them to frat parties and social type stuff. She has gone out of her way to give the freshman a better incoming experience than she had. For many upper classmen they view freshman as competition and everyone is usually sizing each other up. Some will keep their distance until everyone gets more familiar with one another.

We have talked to DD more in the last 3 weeks than we did the whole summer put together while she was home. Facetime and cell phones make this so much easier. DD texted yesterday to get Core's contact info since one of her teammates wants a new bat.

As I think back to my college years, I rarely talked to my mom. I didn't give it any thought whatsoever how my mom felt about me jumping ship to college. In retrospect, I feel bad for that. I went to school an hour away and would come home every couple of weeks my freshman year and long distance calls were a thing back then. Remember 30 cents a minute, collect calls and calling cards??? Mom would come watch me play rugby from time to time. College was the best 6 years of my life!

Here's the deal. Give it time. You and her will both adjust. I really takes a full year to get into a groove. Then there is only 3 more to go!

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Hi there! I started posting on here about 3 years ago when DD was a sophomore and we went through a lot with travel teams, recruiting during COVID and she did end up getting a scholarship to play and has been there for about 3 weeks. So my question for those that have been through this - when do you start to worry?? or maybe I should say when do I stop worrying LOL.

She is really struggling socially at this school, the softball team does not do a lot together and just started workouts and practices but according to her there isn't really like a set schedule and she needs structure. It just seems like she is just not thriving yet and really liking it or even excited. Is this normal? I am guessing she is just overwhelmed but I am having a hard time not worrying. She is also playing for a coach that did not recruit her which I know happens all the time, but she said the team is like very divided too. It honestly could just be a bad fit, but am I just freaking out too soon?

I would love to hear of others who may have had similar situations!

Thanks!
Just curious, divided how? along what line?

Dec 6, 2019
As a matter of fact, DD's coach has suspended 6 out of the 7 freshman for violating his anti-other-teams-socialization policy
What in the world is this?? Hopefully this is just some misguided Covid policy. That's crazy otherwise.

As to the OP, fortunately my daughter is having a different experience. My daughter was in contact with all the incoming freshman on her team all summer, as well as the coach setting up for communication for the whole team over the summer. During orientation my daughter did just about everything with the other freshman. The whole team eats most meals together. Many of the girls work other teams' games together. They go out together on weekends (and maybe a Wednesday or two).

Jan 31, 2015
... You will typically have a lot more free time than they had in HS. High school very regimented: Wake up early in the morning. Go to school ALL Day, then after school stuff, maybe softball practice or lessons. Go home, eat, homework, go to Sleep. Rinse and Repeat. College: Classes are staggered, and not everyday. You don't get to interact with the same ppl in class 5 days a week, so it's tougher to socialize.

This is definitely NOT my DD's experience but I'm sure it's highly dependent upon the 1) school, 2) major, 3) coaches.

In general, I warned her that with computer science and math, expect to spend 3-5 hours on homework for EVERY hour spent in class. So, that's 11 credits of computer science and math credits/hours * 3-5 hours plus 4 credits of honors research plus 20 hours of softball practices.

Thankfully, she has developed excellent time management skills over the years being on travel softball and field hockey teams 1.5-2.5 hours from home while maintaining a 4.2 GPA in prep school. ;-)

Fun times!

Jan 31, 2015
What in the world is this?? Hopefully this is just some misguided Covid policy. That's crazy otherwise.

Obviously, not misguided when at least one of them got COVID from sucking face w/ a swim team dude at an all-night frat party and had to be quarantined for 10 days! And this was the same night after HC said SPECIFICALLY not to socialize with other teams. And yes, the swim team dude got COVID too so now both teams are affected which is EXACTLY what the HC's rules were trying to prevent which I'm sure he got from his AD.

And that's w/ a 91% vaccinated school w/ weekly testing for all!

Jan 31, 2015
I would consider "sucking face" to be only a very small subset of socialization.
Obviously, but the point being that the VERY SAME FRIDAY NIGHT that HC had the *come-to-Jesus* meeting w/ the team, they defied his (AD?) rule for EXACTLY the consequences that happened, and apparently another freshman was suspended TWICE in this 1st two weeks for the same!

Simply UNACCEPTABLE AFAIC! Given the COVID recruiting obstacles, at least my DD appreciates the opportunity to play DI softball FAR GREATER than any socialization benefits and like I said, she always has been VERY social.

May 1, 2018
So different thoughts than just softball here:
How often are you and her talking? Is it too much.
If she is just sitting in her room, what else could she be doing around campus to socialize? Ie. Study in the Library instead of room.

I was like that my first month or so of college until I decided to change things up a bit. There are a bunch of freshmen who feel this way.

May 27, 2013

As to the OP, fortunately my daughter is having a different experience. My daughter was in contact with all the incoming freshman on her team all summer, as well as the coach setting up for communication for the whole team over the summer. During orientation my daughter did just about everything with the other freshman. The whole team eats most meals together. Many of the girls work other teams' games together. They go out together on weekends (and maybe a Wednesday or two).

This sounds very similar to my dd’s experience so far, as well. The freshmen recruits have been hanging out together since orientation, and once the upperclassmen arrived, they have all been getting together to do “mixers” with 1-2 other teams so they get to know each other. They typically will eat meals together a few times per week, and will try to work out together if class schedules allow. Her teammates sought each other out as soon as they moved in. DD’s school is very remote so everyone typically stays on campus (no going home on weekends). They do have a very robust Covid testing program so luckily no restrictions other than wearing masks indoors (mixers have been at outdoor locations on campus). Masks can be removed if in someone’s dorm room. 99% of campus population is vaccinated.

I hope that your dd’s situation improves soon! Definitely difficult if her roommate is going home most weekends - especially since if she is the only other recruit. I would say that by 6-8 weeks things will change for the better. Sometimes it just takes time for everything to sort out. I think your DD’s experience is more typical than you think. Hang in there!

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018

My DDs team only has 2 freshman and she and her roommate (the other freshman) did talk but the coach that recruited them both was let go in the spring and they did not hire a new coach until late July. So I think it is just going to take more time than usual and I think it would be awesome if her whole team eats together but they do not. She has been eating a lot of meals alone but sometimes when she goes she sees the older players. She is going to be working the football game this weekend because she is a sports management major and that is part of one of her classes so I am hoping that helps her get out a little more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12