A sad day.....DD's basketball career is probably over

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
DD's basketball career ended and she will never pick up a basketball again even to just toss it to someone. DD was leading the team in scoring in 8th grade. Team was not good. DD did shoot a lot but they won. In game, coach told her that if she took a shot, she would be benched. She stole a ball, dribbled the length of the court and made a layup. She was benched. The team did not score again that game. DD benched for the next four games. Team played a couple of games where they scored 6 or less for entire game. We are getting killed and dd was/is tall. She can go between legs, has a spin move, can make left and right handed layups... (In the winters she practiced with my varsity team from the time she could handle a ball.) She is put into the game and told if she shoots, she will be benched. She steals the ball in a diamond and one press, goes to make a layup with teammates yelling at her to stop. She stops passes, gets the ball back and makes a layup. Benched. Never played in another game. Coach threatened to kill her. Coach was fired. DD was asked many times to play in HS. I was the Head Coach in Basketball and had resigned. Like I said, you can not get her to pick up a basketball at all.

Wow. How wrong

SL

Aug 20, 2013
Awww......well my older daughter actually gave up softball after this fall season and is trying out for the middle school basket ball team. She gave softball 4 seasons and it just never clicked for her. She is very tall and seems to be able to shoot well. She has no stamina yet, but thin so at least she doesn't have weight to lose on top of building cardo. My younger DD got all the natural talent. She seems to be able to do anything with any ball--very weird. Soccer, Volley Ball, Softball, Basket ball and she is super fit.

Older girl is more artsy, but we told her she has to be in something organized with adult supervision that is 2-3 days per week. Doesn't have to be sports, but those are the easiest to find for mom and dad. She wants to do something else, she has to find it within those parameters.

Very interesting to hear others stories....

GG

Oct 19, 2009
DD tried out her freshman year at one HS and made JR Varsity, but only got in about 1 or 2 games; as a sophomore she was cut from the team. Then she went to a different HS her junior year and was talked to coming out for the BB team by the coach where she started her JR and SR years made all region both years and drove her team to the final 8 and final 16, she holds the single game scoring record and rebound record at the school and received offers from a number of colleges for BB.

She scored a number of double doubles, during their run to state, but some of the private schools recruit players and one team had 2 girls 604 1 603 and 2 600, less just say it was ugly although DD was high score and rebounder for her school in that game.

Forgot to add the other team never made the regions and she all but single handed beat the team at the other school 4 games . :cool:

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Then he should have done something about the upper classmen problem.

Some coaches don't see this as a problem and think its a rite of passage or a toughening up of the younger kids. Not saying its right, just saying thats how some think.

There is a senior on our HS BB team who is a mean person and she gets way too physical and mouthy with the younger girls at practice. Not all of them only the ones who play her position. My dd was getting the brunt of it one day when she reminded that girl that come softball she would be pitching during practices.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I like the girls playing different sports. Always the risk of getting hurt
Daughter 1 played 12 varsity sports in high school, plays D-1 college softballball travel club team
Daughter 2 more athletic played 10 varsity sports, sat the bench on the other 2 with torn ACL freshman and senior year. She walked on a D-1 school in basketball this freshman year and is on the practice squad

SL

12 sports, or 12 seasons?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
12 sports, or 12 seasons?

Casey was first girl in school history to play and start 12 varsity sports. They have a plaque of her in the first team hallway.
Younger dd started and played 10 and tore her ACL twice or she would have been the second girl to get 12. She sat the bench and they did not give her a letter because she did not have playing time. I thought it was wrong because she was the most athletic girl on the team but hurt.

SL

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
If only there were standards that people in charge were held to ,maybe kids lives would be better, there are to many that can waste a child's life, seen it happen more than once

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing