a rec coach decided...player contracts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Never said anything about the players not playing. Just said I don’t feel it’s right that they need to follow “his rules” or contract (same difference).
To be clear.
The team is following the league rules of playing requirement. While trying to implement players attending practice. There is no rule being broken. There is no repercussion written in if they don't show up to practice .

May 27, 2013
To be clear.
The team is following the league rules of playing requirement. While trying to implement players attending practice. There is no rule being broken. There is no repercussion written in if they don't show up to practice .

But in your OP it sounds like he’s asking for a commitment to practices in this contract. If it doesn’t mean that, then be more specific as to what it does mean. Does that mean practices are now mandatory? Again, I get that players will not be benched.

If you feel he is in the right, then just say so. Don’t ask for our opinion and then continue to argue with it when we explain why we don’t feel it’s right or why the contract can’t be utilized.

I already said I agree with his sentiment.

May 20, 2015
But in your OP it sounds like he’s asking for a commitment to practices in this contract. If it doesn’t mean that, then be more specific as to what it does mean. Does that mean practices are now mandatory? Again, I get that players will not be benched.

If you feel he is in the right, then just say so. Don’t ask for our opinion and then continue to argue with it when we explain why we don’t feel it’s right or why the contract can’t be utilized.

if there is no hard rule, if it's not "mandatory practice or there's consequences", than this "contract" is the wrong approach

perhaps a meeting where they stressed the importance of practice, where they stressed that players wanting to try new positions, etc really needed to be at practice to work on these spots, or that preference in position, etc will be given to players who made the practices.....i get the dilemma, but again, the approach is off......

the standards for behavior (no happy meals in the dugout) are AOK imho

Nov 9, 2021
I don’t know if I would do a contract necessarily. But I have no issue with setting an expectation of practice attendance and behavior during games. We have always just covered that and other issues at a team meeting at the very beginning of the season. If you communicate very early what you hope to accomplish and the commitment you expect it saves a lot of headaches later.

While there are playing requirements in rec, it is still very easy for a coach to reward the players that are working hard with better positions and spots in the batting lineup. On a team of 12, if you have 9 committed girls in rec you are doing well. Focus on the development of the girls that come to practice, they will improve. Don’t waste energy on the ones that have no interest, that is on them not you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 15, 2021
I also feel a contract is the wrong approach for Rec ball. There is not ability to enforce this except for guilt/shame. That already creates the wrong environment for Rec ball where kids are getting introduced to a sport they may not even know if they like. Often parents just want them to do something so they sign them up. With Rec, you get a group of kids and you do your darnedest to help those kids learn about the sport, get better at it and maybe even learn to love it. The hard part is that many parent, especially at younger ages, want rec ball to be more than rec ball. That is where having select teams and all star teams in rec ball can be an outlet for that desire. For those you could think about having some type of player commitment.

May 13, 2023
if there is no hard rule, if it's not "mandatory practice or there's consequences", than this "contract" is the wrong approach
Well for what it may be worth,
a contract can explain the group purpose. For that having it written down and in the player's & parents hands makes it a little more impactful? Maybe?

perhaps a meeting where they stressed the importance of practice,
Yes also think a meeting is important. With that sometimes the parents don't have the same intention as a coach.
Some parents are just signing their kids up for an activity. (Disconnected from purpose of team.) For that I can understand wanting to address it directly with the players because they are the ones that are on the team. To that point, maybe the contract initiates a responsibility of the players... that may *encourage parents to make the effort to bring their child to show up for practices 🤷‍♀️

Aug 15, 2021
a contract can explain the group purpose. For that having it written down and in the player's & parents hands makes it a little more impactful? Maybe?

Yes also think a meeting is important. With that sometimes the parents don't have the same intention as a coach.
Some parents are just signing their kids up for an activity. (Disconnected from purpose of team.) For that I can understand wanting to address it directly with the players because they are the ones that are on the team. To that point, maybe the contract initiates a responsibility of the players... that may *encourage parents to make the effort to bring their child to show up for practices 🤷‍♀️
Setting expectations for the team should always be done at the beginning of the season. It is fair to set expectations on attending practices and games. Connect those expectations with the enjoyment they will get from dedicating themselves to learning and having more fun. To me expectations are different from a contract.

Jul 19, 2021

It's Rec league. It is what it is. You nailed it --- Some parents are gung ho and will have their kids at every practice and some treat it as a "maybe" when they look at their weekly schedule. A rec league contract is ridiculous IMO because the kids are not in control of their own schedule.

Nov 9, 2021
The other reality with kids sports is parents often control attendance and punctuality. I have always wanted to implement a policy where parents run if they bring kids late. Just don’t think I could pull that off except with a few of my parents that would probably laugh while running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 13, 2023
Setting expectations for the team should always be done at the beginning of the season. It is fair to set expectations on attending practices and games. Connect those expectations with the enjoyment they will get from dedicating themselves to learning and having more fun.
✔️👍
Do you think having that conversation written down can have greater impact?

Think something important to be brought into this discussion is that without good leadership it is difficult for people to understand the importance of things like showing up for practice. People tending to have an individual mentality. Not a group/team mentality.
Highly likely that people have already experienced bad leadership/bad practices and that's why they will show up for games but not practice.

➡️This discussion was brought up to find solution. This is one coach's approach to finding solution!

After the next season when it gets implemented I will try to bring feedback of its result.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06