A duel in the sun

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I know it's New Jersey HS softball but we are in for a treat today. The two best pitchers in the state will square off this afternoon. One, Alley Frei has thrown perfect games. 21 Ks. Their school records are impressive so I thought I'd share them.

PITCHING DUEL: High Point's Ally Frei and Devin Durando of Indian Hills will go head-to-head for the third time in their careers in the final game of the showcase. Last season, Frei boasted a state-best .19 ERA with 393 strikeouts to only 38 walks to lead High Point, currently ranked No. 6 in the preseason Star-Ledger Top 20. Durando led Indian Hills, currently ranked No. 2, to a Group 3 championship with a 31-3 record, .56 ERA and 356 strikeouts. This will be the third time the pitchers meet and series currently stands 1-1.

I know one of the draws to fastpitch is the speed of the game and the ability to manufacture runs but today I'm hoping to see two young women who have mastered their craft in the circle. DD is jazzed to be able to see this game.

I'll post an update this evening.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
suspense.jpg

Sounds like a World Series game 1 match-up...should be a gem, enjoy it!...hopefully the thread title means mother nature is helping out with some sun. Look forward to checking back later this evening to see how the game went.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
The pitchers turned in the kind of performance I expected. 0s after 8 1/2 innings. Very few base runners. Probably 20+Ks for both pitchers. Finally a walk by Hi Point followed by a line drive to Rt Center. A good crowd from all over to see this matchup.

The day was perfect. 61 and sunny. I even applied some sunscreen.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Hard to get a pitchers dual like that in high school! Where are the pitchers committed to play college ball?

Apr 14, 2011
I saw this game also. Very exciting game.

The day before at the same invitational there was a great matchup between DePaul and Mt. St. Dominic. The DePaul pitcher is going to Princeton and the Mt. St. Dominic pitcher while only a freshman (and at least 6') has been gunned at 64 mph and has serious interest from some big name softball schools. The freshman Mt. St. Dominic pitcher will be a big name pitcher in NJ if she isn't already.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I have seen the MSDA freshman over the last couple of years and agree she has a chance to be very good. Dad needs to take a back seat now but that is an issue I see with some top level pitchers. Dad has directed and guided DDs progress and they have trouble turning over the reins.

DePaul has a sophomore that is garnering interest as well from some regional D1 schools.