a couple observations from tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm trying hard to get my team to think of themselves as a team we should invite people to join, rather than a team that we hope girls show up on tryout day.
Yeah that usually is not a self-imposed sort of thing 😉

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah that usually is not a self-imposed sort of thing 😉

True, but we're right on the cusp. We're returning 10 and only need two more, at specific positions. Our team won some big tournaments and have wins against most of the top teams in our age group. So we're on the map, and it's time to act like it. Time to pinpoint the girls we want and start conversations. We shouldn't need a tryout filled with dozens of girls with no hope of making it.

And in our situation, we can self-impose that. We know the girls looking to leave teams, know their parents, know how to contact them. Just need to pick up the phone.

Jun 8, 2016
True, but we're right on the cusp. We're returning 10 and only need two more, at specific positions. Our team won some big tournaments and have wins against most of the top teams in our age group. So we're on the map, and it's time to act like it. Time to pinpoint the girls we want and start conversations. We shouldn't need a tryout filled with dozens of girls with no hope of making it.

And in our situation, we can self-impose that. We know the girls looking to leave teams, know their parents, know how to contact them. Just need to pick up the phone.
Certainly worth a try..if you definitely need players I would have a backup plan just in case nobody else agrees with you 😉

Mar 6, 2016
Let me flip this around a little, just for the sake of conversation ...

Parents, when you go to try outs (or see a team play that you think you want your daughter on) ... are you paying attention and also making the coaches tryout for your daughter? What are you looking for?

I remember taking my daughter to a few tryouts that both she and I walked away from saying "No way." Not only was she trying out for them, but we were watching the coaches. How organized were they? What did their "tryout" consist of? How did they interact with the girls who were already on their team and those who were not? How did the girls already on the team interact with the ones who were not (or did they)?

THIS!! 👆 👆 👆

Absolutely agree! As coaches, we are looking at players and parents to see if they are right fit, but as a parent when I wasn't a coach, I was watching EVERYTHING and trying to listen to EVERYTHING. My DD went to a couple, that in the very first few minutes I knew the coaches were not prepared or the right fit style wise or approach. One team's coaches didn't greet us or say much the entire practice, they isolated the girls already on team from girls trying out and then started the eval/tryout workout by full out throws without ever even warming up in any way. I and a couple other parents just looked at each other and thought "WTF?"

Parents, you are in effect interviewing the coaches too. If they offer, I wouldn't accept right away. I figured, if my DD is good enough and you really do want her on your team, you will still want her in 24-48 hours and let us see if it's a right fit. And if they can't wait, then it's their loss and wasn't meant to be. Very similar to college recruiting.

Apr 11, 2016
Let me flip this around a little, just for the sake of conversation ...

Parents, when you go to try outs (or see a team play that you think you want your daughter on) ... are you paying attention and also making the coaches tryout for your daughter? What are you looking for?

I remember taking my daughter to a few tryouts that both she and I walked away from saying "No way." Not only was she trying out for them, but we were watching the coaches. How organized were they? What did their "tryout" consist of? How did they interact with the girls who were already on their team and those who were not? How did the girls already on the team interact with the ones who were not (or did they)?

Totally agree. Tryouts are a 2-way street. We've been to tryouts that DD say NO immediately afterward if the current players didn't look good at all.

We just attended the best open tryout we've seen. Existing players looked great. Lots of energy, and they were helping the coaches out. Drills were fast, and recruits (is that the correct word for players trying out) must keep up or left behind. Quality of recruits were great also. DD said "wow" on the way to the car and said this is the organization she wants to be on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA