9yo DD Game Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2012
Yes, I noticed in BP she seems to rotate her shoulders/hands backward a little more as she strides. For some reason, in a game she only brings them slightly back if at all. Perhaps, its because the game pitching is so much faster than in BP/tee/soft-toss she mentally feels she doesn't have the time to bring her hands back. Thank you for pointing that out. I will pay more attention to it and stress the importance of it for power.

Thx,
BatDragon

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Work on a better coil and like rhc stated already loading the hands while the body goes forward. Like you said probably worried she may not have enough time to coil and load before ball gets to her. Needs to learn slow to load, then explode. I see some "Epstein" in her swing. Did you do some Torgue/deltoid drills while learning/training?

Oct 26, 2012
Yes, their is some "Epstein" in her swing. She has been working on getting rid of some bat drag, so I had her doing the deltoid drill for a bit. I think its almost gone, but honestly the major contribution of getting rid of the majority of the bat drag was not the deltoid drill but was just simply changing from the "knocking knuckles" grip to the "3/4 box grip". Initially she lined up her "knocking knuckles" and would drag the bat through the zone making a long but powerful swing. She just changed to the "3/4 box grip" over the last 2 weeks and she seems to be shorter to the ball.

She was hitting well with the "bat drag" with a ton of power, but I didn't feel it was scalable when facing better pitching, so I moved her to a "box grip" in hopes to eliminiate bat drag and shorten her swing.

From the slow motion video do you feel she still has some bat drag ?

I think she may slot her rear elbow too soon. Perhaps, if I have her keep her rear elbow a little higher on toe touch by having her load/coil a little more (as you suggest) it will give her more power and eliminate the liklihood of bat drag. Thoughts ??

Thx,
BatDragon

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
A touch of bat drag. I did the same drills (torgue/deltoid drill ) with my DD. Not saying its a bad start. The problem you may have now is DD probably is not sure what to do with the hands. Search Wellphyt he has been down the same road as you and me(Epstein road). He maybe able to help with his older posts. Getting rid of bat drag is getting to know how to get the bat started properly. Again Wellphyt has some good older post on this subject also. Other posters will also help with this. I like my DD when she loads to load with a higher back elbow/humerus. This video may help or get you started. JMHO.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Some of that ^^^^^^^^^^^

And some of this vvvvvvvvvvvvv feeling the coil and forward with coil

2yuksjm.gif

And all will be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01