8U softball debate.... Your opinion please....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would recommend letting girls play rec ball at 8U. If your DD is an 8U superstar, then let her 'play up' on a 10U TB team. There are just not enough 'quality' girls to make a good 8U TB team in most areas of the country. I also do not think most 8 year olds are ready for the pressure of playing TB.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
It seems like most that are against it speak of the pressu of travel or how 8U girls can't be good enough. For us it has been much less on my DD than rec. Our league played pre and post season tourneys plus NSA offered a league state tourney for regular teams before all stars. With the regular season this would b about 30 games. Add in 3 all star tourneys plus state if you qualify and we were close to 50 games. We played our first travel tourneys in March and go until the end of the USFA world series in July. We play twice a month and normally play an average of 5 games per tourney so its pretty much the same.

90% of our tournaments are within an hour of my house. When we wrap up this summer she will have had to stay out of town 6 times since last March playing TB. In two years of all stars we had to stay overnight 4 times because our region is so large.

Ability wise I would say I have seen girls and teams that ate not ready for TB. On the other hand it is very competitive among the better teams. You do see teams with girls who are 5'5" and 130 who can put one out on a 200 ft field but the better teams are much more athletic.

Oct 19, 2009
This is what I did when I coached an 8U team; we started the spring in Rec ball played 20 games allowed to practice once a week by having field time and we played 2 games a week. By the time school was out the season was over and we were 20-0 mainly because we had 2 pitchers who could pitch strikes more that balls.

Some of the kids wanted to play more and some didn’t, at this rec they had all-stars for boys, but nothing for the girls after the season I took the girls who wanted to continue to play and found 5 kids from other rec teams (same rec-center) and we started to practice, we raised money for uniforms, insurance and enough money for 4 tournaments.

Then we ran into problems, the rec-center wanted money for use of the fields and more if we used the lights. The boys and girls paid the same amount for the fee at the beginning of the year, the boys received full uniform and the girls received a t-shirt with a number and a cheap visor. The boys all stars received a second uniform and did not have to pay for lights or field use. The re-center 10 miles away heard what had happen and worked with us to get time on their fields and use of their lights, no charge.

We played the four tournaments and we never won one, but we placed near the top and received an invitation to the World played in Pigeon Forge, TN. It was miserable hot there in July and many of the kids and parents were more interested in vacation that ball. We placed just out of the top 10 and could have done better with a little more effort IMO.

We are in North West Georgia.

This was 2003 and this year 2012 the rec-center is having a girls all-star team for the first time, but the girls have to buy a matching uniform including shoes UUUGGGG!!!!! :mad::mad:

What ever you do don't take the fun out for them (IT'S ABOUT THE KIDS)! :):)

Oct 31, 2010
This is what I did when I coached an 8U team; we started the spring in Rec ball played 20 games allowed to practice once a week by having field time and we played 2 games a week. By the time school was out the season was over and we were 20-0 mainly because we had 2 pitchers who could pitch strikes more that balls.

Some of the kids wanted to play more and some didn’t, at this rec they had all-stars for boys, but nothing for the girls after the season I took the girls who wanted to continue to play and found 5 kids from other rec teams (same rec-center) and we started to practice, we raised money for uniforms, insurance and enough money for 4 tournaments.

Then we ran into problems, the rec-center wanted money for use of the fields and more if we used the lights. The boys and girls paid the same amount for the fee at the beginning of the year, the boys received full uniform and the girls received a t-shirt with a number and a cheap visor. The boys all stars received a second uniform and did not have to pay for lights or field use. The re-center 10 miles away heard what had happen and worked with us to get time on their fields and use of their lights, no charge.

We played the four tournaments and we never won one, but we placed near the top and received an invitation to the World played in Pigeon Forge, TN. It was miserable hot there in July and many of the kids and parents were more interested in vacation that ball. We placed just out of the top 10 and could have done better with a little more effort IMO.

We are in North West Georgia.

This was 2003 and this year 2012 the rec-center is having a girls all-star team for the first time, but the girls have to buy a matching uniform including shoes UUUGGGG!!!!! :mad::mad:

What ever you do don't take the fun out for them (IT'S ABOUT THE KIDS)! :):)

If you wouldn't have said you were in GA I would have sworn you were playing at my DD's local rec park. Yeah, it's that bad when it comes to how the boys are treated vs the girls! They will even give the boys the softball fields to practice over letting the girls use it.

My DD's last year of 8u & my last year of coaching at that park we took the girls to a tournament at the end of the season & we just had them wear their regular uniforms. It cost a lot less than the city's version of all-stars for the girls and they got in more games since it was a 4GG. At the end of the day they were exhausted, but they all had fun & learned a lot and that's what we set out to do.

Jun 18, 2010
Every time I mention 8U travel ball or see anyone else mention 8U ball there always seem to be negative comments about them starting so young.

TB takes a lot of time. From 5-12, DD participated in recreational soccer, basketball, volleyball, softball, and dance. DD was a really good soccer player. At around 8 or 9, we put her in a competitive soccer club. That was the worst mistake we could have made. The time constraints and the pressure of the competitive organization made our DD start to dislike soccer, so much so that she quit after one season and has never played another soccer game since. After making that mistake DW and I decided to let DD choose which activity she liked best. As the seasons passed DD started to make choices which activities she liked and didn't like. Now at 13, DD has eliminated soccer, basketball, and dance. She plays competitive softball and rec volleyball. IMO, if you start the time consuming competitive play too early, you are making the choice for your DD instead of letting her figure out which activity she enjoys most.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Playing on 8u tournament teams is not for every child. It's not like school. If you have any doubts than most likely your kid is not ready for 8u tournament team. Some of us have children that loves softball and want to play everyday. They improve at a faster rate than other kids in rec leagues. There will be no doubt that you made the right decision. Now, it's just up to the Parents to put the time for travel.

One side note. I believe that all 8u leagues should be machine pitched. It is much more important that entire team developed high bat speed and proper swing fundamentals. The leagues where the kids or coach pitches, the batters learn how to take pitches but swings are flawed.

Jan 20, 2011
My daughter started at the age of 6 1/2 here in Northern Illinois, she turned 7 in the spring. An area travel team put together a developmental 8U team that would expose the girls to travel ball without being travel ball. There were no 'cuts' and they drew girls from six surrounding communities. Team had 13 girls.

Indoor practices did not start until January and were held every other week. Outdoor practices were one day a week. Games were girls pitch with no walks, once the fourth non-strike was thrown the Louisville Blue Flame machine was used to finish the at bat. There were 25 games played against area 'all-star' 8U teams which included two, four game tournaments.

Four years later, of those original 13 girls, 7 continue to play full time travel ball with various teams in the area.

Our experience of this 'exposure' to travel ball was a positive one. DD loves the game, not just playing it but also the strategies that go into it. She talks about wanting to be a teacher and a softball coach when she grows up. The wife and I are very proud of her and the family is enjoying the 'ride' together!

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I'd say 1/2 is about right; my daughter started playing in a town league at age 9; TB starting at 10 - now at age 14 I would say about 1/2 of the girls I remember are still playing. Most of the girls I remember as being "pretty good" at age 9 are still "pretty good to excellent" now.

I've seen a few girls take up the sport at age 13 - the ones not well suited figured that out pretty quickly and went on to try something else. I've seen others who have taken to it like a duck to water and became extremely good in about 9 months. Given this extremely anecdotal evidence, I wouldn't say that starting a kid age 7 is going to give them a particular advantage later. If the 7 year old loves it and wants nothing more than a diamond and some sunshine, go for it - feed her as much as she'll take. If the 7 year old is lukewarm on it, making it her entire life isn't going to turn her into the next Jenny Finch despite herself.

If I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't have my kids in any organized sports at all until age 12. Before then, we would play - constant, never ending, run until you throw up laughing, play (thus turning him or her into a stellar all around athlete, like the kids from the book "Born to Run"). Most kids who are truly athletic can pick up pretty much any sport their heart desires and become quite good at it in about a year. I keep telling my husband I want to have another kid so I can try out my little theory, but so far he's not convinced :)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
I kinda hate absolutes, LOL. For me a lot of it depends upon the nature of the 8U program. Is it a few local tournaments with a team focussed on development over winning? That sounds like a lot of fun, provided the girls want it and aren't being pushed in. I do think 8U is too young for long-distance travel, an aggressive schedule and a must-win mentality. (10U probably is too for most kids.)

My DD didn't move out of rec SB until second year 10U. She did move out of rec soccer at the U8 age; she enjoyed it, but turned herself into a goalie because it was her best option. (She couldn't keep up speed-wise.) I do wonder whether she would have had more fun simply playing rec soccer. She also tried swimming, tennis, gymnastics, tae kwon do, volleyball, basketball, etc. Once she decided that softball was the sport for her and that she wanted to play seriously, she dropped the other three she also liked (soccer, tennis and tae kwon do) due to time and money. For her, I think it was better that she had more time to try a variety of sports and choose the one she liked best.

She still misses Tae Kwon Do and was quite good at it, but unlike softball, one can learn martial arts and compete in them at any age, so I know it will still be there for her if she decides to return to it as an adult.

May 18, 2009
8u TB is fantastic. The kids have fun and learn the fundamentals much more thoroughly. We do 20 games per year with girls of similar ability. It increases the level of play for U10. We've also found more girls that pitch. When the girls are younger more seem willing to learn pitching. Not as afraid of failing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl