7 year old follow up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2014
Hey everyone,

Follow up from my first post. Just a recap, daughter took lessons starting at 6 with a hello elbow, I found this forum right before her all star tournament so we slowly started implementing changes, and now we are full force into I/R transition. I have not found a SoCal PC so this board is it for now!!

Interesting I am already noticing a more consistent release point (sometimes with HE in games she would throw over the catchers head) Sometimes it seems she is using too much shoulder as she tries to rotate, but when she gets it right it looks pretty good. I will be posting a video in the near future for feedback from the community as I guarantee as a newbie I am missing a TON of stuff!!

Follow up question. At the all star tournament I noticed quite a few 8 year olds with a change up. When my daughter gets consistent with her I/R release, what do you all recommend be the next pitch she learns, and where do you progress from there? I realize that every student is different so I am just trying to get a general idea of what everyone thinks.

Feb 7, 2013
You answered your own question. Once she is fairly consistent with her fastball, introduce the change up. She can get by with just those two pitches for the next 4 years. Fight the urge to have her learn 6 pitches by the time she is 10yo. Less is more at that age. What part of SoCal are you in? Some good PCs here, but you need to know what to look for.

May 23, 2014
Thanks guys. Rocket we are in north Orange County

I actually 100% agree with your philosophy left field and think parents can push their kids too hard in general. The issue with her is that she just LOVES her sports so lessons for her are more about her having fun than anything. When we have to cancel one of her hitting lessons for instance, she is genuinely disappointed. So my reason for keeping her with the RIGHT PC is less about me forcing her to go, and more about making sure I don't mess up her form since I am not an expert.

Plus I make it a point to laugh with her when she throws a pitch 10 feet in the air so the process is fun and not stressful. If tomorrow she wants to be a chess champion, that's what we will do. Hope they have a forum for that somewhere!!

May 23, 2014
I checked in with Don Sarnos students and it appears they do not teach I/R unfortunately.

And again agree with you left field. Writing doesn't always relay tone properly so don't want you to feel like I am arguing in anyway, but for me I am way more concerned about her having fun and being 7 then pitching. We do way more 7 year old things (tag, hide and seek, legos etc..) then we do pitching. I may not be an expert in pitching just yet, but I take pride in being a great father, not a great "sports father".
I just want to make sure she has the proper technique since she is going to throw anyway if that makes sense.

Feb 7, 2013
contact Gary Mullican at Strictly Softball, 949-246-8299 in Mission Viejo. Definitely teaches I/R. Have corresponded with him and faced some of his students who are very good. He is the real deal. DD would see him if not 1.5 hours away. Good luck.

Jun 13, 2009
a little bird told me that Bill Hillhouse has a So Cal location and is going to be frequenting there too. I have no idea where though.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Play underhand catch all the time until she has to think about changing and throwing over hand. Do it all the time but keep them short. Mix in the overhand throwing to also get that correct.

Change ups are fun for a kid to throw so make it a game. Set an evil stuffy on a stool and knock it off with a fastball and then put it on the plate to try to bonk it in the top of the head with a change up.

Go for it if she really likes it. I can't believe sometimes what my DD has done pitching at such a young age in 10U travel ball.

May 23, 2014
I am sure it is posted somewhere, but what is the recommended change up that we teach our young pitchers? Is there a thread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish