6U Team Rules and Expectations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hello!

My name is Shelbie. I am new to this board. I am also new to coaching softball. I signed my daughter up to play and walked out a coach. I played softball for many years while I was growing up and through HS. However, we are having our team meeting tomorrow. I have everything completely ready to go for that except I do not have any "rules and expectations" for my team. I know we have league rules and game rules. But I would like help building a few rules for my team specifically like; always have a good attitude, hustle all the time, the golden rule, etc. I searched google and found a plenty of examples but they were all geared to much older girls. I would kind of like mine to encompass parents too. Like now bad mouthing the officials. I feel children see their parents doing that and think its okay, when in fact it is a form of poor sportsmanship. Anyways, what are some suggestions out there for expectations??

Thank you!!!

Dec 4, 2013
1. Don't kill each other
2. Have fun

Are there umpires and a score for 6u games? I would hope parents would be able to control themselves at this type of game.....but then again you never know! Good luck

ItsJustAGameCoach!

Softball Sponge
Dec 7, 2014
Surprise Arizona
Good Luck. I don't think I have ever had officials in a City Rec. League at 8U or 6U, but that just might be where I have played. The coaches usually call outs so I never really had many problems. As far as rules, I was usually happy when I could get a player to answer to their name and do what was asked of them, like grab your glove and go to 2nd base. Ask parents to cheer not jeer and keep suggestions to themselves until after the game. Just try to instill your values in the girls during practices and games and hopefully they will follow your example.

Feb 3, 2011
If your league has umpires for 6u games, then you're doing it wrong.

No matter how fun it might seem, players aren't allowed to swing bats willy-nilly. And they aren't allowed to throw the ball at anyone who isn't looking. Apart from that, keep it simple and fun. Oh, and get the snack schedule worked out at the start of the season. Have fun!

Feb 7, 2013
Most rec leagues have a Parent and/or Player Code of Conduct that they sign before every season. If they don't have one for 6U, IMO it is not necessary to create one for 5 and 6 year old softball/t-ball players. Sometimes we take this game way to seriously at the younger ages.

Make the team meeting as positive and fun as possible. Just like you should do for the rest of the season. The 2 primary goals a) make sure the kid and parents have a great, fun season so they sign up for the next season; and b) teach the fundamentals of throwing, hitting, fielding and catching.

If you achieve the above, your season will have been a success.

Good luck!

I am learning this will be interesting. I think I'll be lucky to get the girls to not chase butterflies in the outfield. I think I will
Keep expectations to the bare minimum of be nice to each other. We do have 6U umpires. But no rules were signed when they registered. I will do my best to keep it fun and educational.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I do not know if this is the proper time to address it but you do not want the players walking around with their bats.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06