5 Ways to Help a Player Look Really Bad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Coaching happens in practice. Managing happens in games.

giphy.gif

Yelling in-the-moment instructions at your players does not help them.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Coaching happens in practice. Managing happens in games.

giphy.gif

Yelling in-the-moment instructions at your players does not help them.

Unless they're reminders/cues that you worked on in practice.

I will, if there's time, sometimes take a moment between innings or whatever to explain something to a player, but most of the time now it's just a note to discuss it later/work on it in practice.

May 29, 2015
Unless they're reminders/cues that you worked on in practice.

I will, if there's time, sometimes take a moment between innings or whatever to explain something to a player, but most of the time now it's just a note to discuss it later/work on it in practice.

Admittedly, my statement is a bit hyperbolic, but it is one I have stuck by for years.

Maybe I should say, "You can coach players. You can't coach the game."

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Yeah, I think you detailed one of the reasons my oldest DD quit catching, although, you forgot to mention allegations she must not be passing along the correct signs from the AC calling the pitches, who happened to be the pitcher’s father.
That actually goes along with one of my beliefs about coaches demanding pitchers hit their spots. What if the coach isn't good at calling pitches? Sometimes not throwing the ball where it's called can be the best thing a pitcher can do for that coach.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Admittedly, my statement is a bit hyperbolic, but it is one I have stuck by for years.

Maybe I should say, "You can coach players. You can't coach the game."
During my 10U days, I would stop a game and go over what just happened. I made sure to include players from both teams and the opposite coach. It was a learning moment, it was 10U, and no one ever said anything negative.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13