3 foot running lane question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2012
Morgantown, WV
The set up:

B1 on 3b and B2 on 2B and 2 outs. B3 hits a slowish ground ball down the 1st base line about 1 to 1.5 feet inside the foul line. F3 comes up to make a play while B3 is running towards the base. As F3 fields the ball inside fair territory B3 collides with her in fair territory knocking her over the ball loose. B3 continues to 1B, B2 and B1 score and F3 is left with a bloody lip. :)

Is there a call to make here? The home plate ump said a running lane issue and interference only occurs when F2 is making a throw and the batter-runner is outside of the lane and gets hit.

I would think that if she was running in fair territory and hit the fielder trying to make a play enough to knock her down, that is interference also....but I am not certain.

So any thoughts?

Jun 22, 2008
Running lane has nothing to do with fielding the ball, only with throws to 1st base. Without seeing play in person, sounds like it should have been an interference call on the batter/runner.

Mar 13, 2010
Interference on BR under any rule set. Dead ball, BR is out, no runs score, inning over.

Jun 22, 2010
The home plate ump said a running lane issue and interference only occurs when F2 is making a throw and the batter-runner is outside of the lane and gets hit.

I would think that if she was running in fair territory and hit the fielder trying to make a play enough to knock her down, that is interference also....but I am not certain.

So any thoughts?
The umpire was wrong, and you are right. In fact, the fielder doesn't need to be knocked down. As Comp says, INT is always a "had to be there" play, but assuming you've reported correctly, this is INT all day long.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
As described, this is interference, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the running lane.

The running lane is applicable to ONE situation only - if the B/R is in the running lane she is protected from an interference call if the throw to first base hits her. There is no requirement that the batter - runner runs to first base in the running lane.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The set up:

B1 on 3b and B2 on 2B and 2 outs. B3 hits a slowish ground ball down the 1st base line about 1 to 1.5 feet inside the foul line. F3 comes up to make a play while B3 is running towards the base. As F3 fields the ball inside fair territory B3 collides with her in fair territory knocking her over the ball loose. B3 continues to 1B, B2 and B1 score and F3 is left with a bloody lip. :)

Is there a call to make here? The home plate ump said a running lane issue and interference only occurs when F2 is making a throw and the batter-runner is outside of the lane and gets hit.

So any thoughts?

Did she already field the ball? Did F3 move in any direction or manner after fielding the ball?

I think this is pretty much a HTBT. While contact is not required, it certainly isn't automatic though some in what is considered higher level of ball may think it is.

However, the location of the runner has absolutely no bearing on the call, whatsoever.

May 16, 2010
The set up:

So any thoughts?

As others have said, this is not a running lane issue.

Batted ball calls are fairly easy. The rule is very clear. A runner must not interfere with a fielder attempting to field a BATTED ball. And is out whether the interference is intentional or not. It is still a judgment call. The ump must judge whether the runner hindered the fielder or not. But, if the ump judges that the runner hindered the fielder, it is a simple call. Dead ball, runner is out. The fielder is "protected" or cannot be hindered in any way from the time the ball is deemed to be heading toward her, up through the time she attempts to tag a runner, or make a throw.

The running lane protects the fielder who is at first base and is taking the throw. If the runner interferes with the fielder who is taking the throw, she is out. This could be while in the lane or out of it, but if she is in the lane, she must do something blatant and obvious that interferes with the fielder TAKING the throw.

Tex

Sep 13, 2011
Interference, the defensive player has the right to make a play on the ball to get an out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA