2025 NFHS Softball Compression Specs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Looking for clarification on the new softball compression rules that go into effect for the 2025 season.

The rules state that the ball will now have a compression of 325 pounds with a plus-minutes of 50 (275-375).

Does that mean that my stockpile of balls with 375 printed on them are still usable? Or does that mean the balls have to have 325 printed, but they could be +/- 50 pounds in either direction?

Almost all the NFHS-stamped balls I can find still say Max 375 on them.

Can't answer your question but I hope they don't mess with the ball they use for High School softball. I would consider that ball they use in Illinois to be a pretty good ball.

The ball they use for PGF softball in Illinois is terrible, it sounds like a sock when you hit it. Believe they are Diamond balls that are used for PGF in Illinois and they are truly garbage.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The PGF balls have stunk for the last three years. "Sounds like a sock when you hit it" is a good description. Thud instead of crack. College coaches are aware of this fact and wonder why PGF doesn't use the Wilson ball used in college so they can better evaluate players.
Come on PGF, be better. Oh, and how about adding 20 feet of fencing in each corner outfield and bring the triple back. Maybe go crazy and buy all new 7 or 8 foot fencing instead of the falling down 3 foot fence.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
The PGF balls have stunk for the last three years. "Sounds like a sock when you hit it" is a good description. Thud instead of crack. College coaches are aware of this fact and wonder why PGF doesn't use the Wilson ball used in college so they can better evaluate players.
Come on PGF, be better. Oh, and how about adding 20 feet of fencing in each corner outfield and bring the triple back. Maybe go crazy and buy all new 7 or 8 foot fencing instead of the falling down 3 foot fence.
How about just enjoy watching your daughter play.

Totally teasing here but are you sure it isn't the bat manufacturer your team uses....😁

May 16, 2016
Illinois

I truly believe PGF is about to take a backseat to Alliance very soon if it has not already happened. The ball is one of the reason no one wants to play in PGF events. Yes, the ball has been junk for a few years now. PGF must be getting them balls dirt cheap to use such a garbage product. Not only is the ball garbage, PGF insists on using these balls for multiple games. I am fine if you want to use a ball in multiple games but it has to be a quality ball.

Dec 6, 2019
I truly believe PGF is about to take a backseat to Alliance very soon if it has not already happened. The ball is one of the reason no one wants to play in PGF events. Yes, the ball has been junk for a few years now. PGF must be getting them balls dirt cheap to use such a garbage product. Not only is the ball garbage, PGF insists on using these balls for multiple games. I am fine if you want to use a ball in multiple games but it has to be a quality ball.
So the PGF balls have nothing to do with a change in balls coming at the college level? I'm very uninformed on all this. I have heard some comments from my kid this week at PGF Nationals that "it's like hitting a pillow."

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
So the PGF balls have nothing to do with a change in balls coming at the college level? I'm very uninformed on all this. I have heard some comments from my kid this week at PGF Nationals that "it's like hitting a pillow."
Back in the day, I use to go to Play it Again Sports on Beach Blvd. in HB during and right after PGF and pick up 30 or 40 of those (found?) Diamond PGF balls for $2 a piece because they were a steal. I wouldn't buy them today.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Back in the day, I use to go to Play it Again Sports on Beach Blvd. in HB during and right after PGF and pick up 30 or 40 of those (found?) Diamond PGF balls for $2 a piece because they were a steal. I wouldn't buy them today.
Perhaps training with the old pgf pillows would be good preparation 🤷‍♀️

I'm in the get over it group 😁🎉 as a player it would not be something that I would let get in my brain.

... okay okay it's a topic...
🙂
throughout the years I bought the college softballs from local D1. So that my students could train with what they would be using in college. However I would also use a bucket of beaters we would train with particularly on harsh surfaces.
Think it's important to get used to irregularities.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach