2025 NFHS Softball Compression Specs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Looking for clarification on the new softball compression rules that go into effect for the 2025 season.

The rules state that the ball will now have a compression of 325 pounds with a plus-minutes of 50 (275-375).

Does that mean that my stockpile of balls with 375 printed on them are still usable? Or does that mean the balls have to have 325 printed, but they could be +/- 50 pounds in either direction?

Almost all the NFHS-stamped balls I can find still say Max 375 on them.

Jun 22, 2008
No idea why, but the rule says the old spec can no longer be used after 24 even though it still falls within the range.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Is this a NCAA rule? If so, that would explain the unthoughtfulness and ambiguity.
Does anybody know how they test the balls compression. Will the percentage of compression drop equal the percentage of HRs hit????

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Will the percentage of compression drop equal the percentage of HRs hit????
Do you mean each time the ball gets hit hard will it reduce in compression?

Well they're fiddling with the verbiage on it....
Which I think is better than fiddling with the conversation to try and get everybody to adjust their home run fences.
Simply because if they chose to make any adjustment,
an adjustment with the ball,
think is the easiest
cost-effective route.
➡️ They did it before, they can do it again!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Is this a NCAA rule? If so, that would explain the unthoughtfulness and ambiguity.
Does anybody know how they test the balls compression. Will the percentage of compression drop equal the percentage of HRs hit????

It's NFHS.

Also, there's this "The changes do not represent a difference in ball performance but allow for better control over the manufacturing process, according to the release from NFHS."

The thing is, if the old balls are no longer legal, the manufacturers should probably start selling new ones. I haven't been able to find any NFHS-stamped balls that have 325 on them. All still say 375.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
My amateur interpretation, all it does is introduce a minimum compression of 275. I don't know how you can disallow a ball marked max 375 since it still is within the new spec.

May 29, 2015
This is what's confusing to me.
It's NFHS.

There! You answered your own question! 😋

I don't know anything about this, sorry. I know when baseball made a change to the ball spec a while back, they allowed a few years for it to be enforced so that manufacturers and teams could work through their supplies.

EDIT: Ahh . . . it was changed in 2021.

New softball specifications will go into effect in 2025 and a number of other rule changes affecting equipment and apparel go into effect in the 2022 season in high school softball. The revisions were recommended by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Softball Rules Committee at its June 14-16 virtual meeting and were approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

The new ball specifications for 12-inch fast pitch softball will have a compression of 325 pounds with a plus-minus of 50 (range of 275-375 pounds). The minimum weight will increase from 6¼ to 6½ ounces with a maximum of 7 ounces and the circumference will be 11⅞ to 12¼ inches.

The new ball specifications are permissible currently and will be required for use in high school competition starting January 1, 2025. Balls manufactured with the current specifications will be permitted for use through the 2024 season. The changes do not represent a difference in ball performance but allow for better control over the manufacturing process, according to the release from NFHS.

I'm just spit-balling here . . . So would the old spec of 375 then have a range of 325-425? If so, then they would NOT fall in the current range. It isn't about getting that one number in the range, it is about the whole thing.

(Yes, I had to Google . . . this compression measurement is the amount of force it takes to compress the ball 1/4 of an inch. Sounds like instead of going after the hot bats, they went after the ball.)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm just spit-balling here . . . So would the old spec of 375 then have a range of 325-425? If so, then they would NOT fall in the current range. It isn't about getting that one number in the range, it is about the whole thing.

(Yes, I had to Google . . . this compression measurement is the amount of force it takes to compress the ball 1/4 of an inch. Sounds like instead of going after the hot bats, they went after the ball.)

The balls typically say "Max 375," but you may be right.

They also say this won't actually affect performance, though I don't know if I believe that.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach