2022 Easton Ghost Advanced

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
I asked around about the bunting thing to some local college softball folks. Seems to me some of the softball folks teach to wrap more hand around the bat to firm up the bunt, especially when slap bunting. I don’t know if I would teach a young kid to do it, but I could see a higher level player utilizing it. Learn something new everyday that makes softball and baseball different. In baseball the “pinch the bat” method is still the most common.

Dec 11, 2010
I asked around about the bunting thing to some local college softball folks. Seems to me some of the softball folks teach to wrap more hand around the bat to firm up the bunt, especially when slap bunting. I don’t know if I would teach a young kid to do it, but I could see a higher level player utilizing it. Learn something new everyday that makes softball and baseball different. In baseball the “pinch the bat” method is still the most common.
Pinch the bat is what’s taught in my area too. Maybe that is “successful enough” until you are bunting against Fouts in practice…. Idk…

I think this might be an indication of how important it is to Coach Murphy to get a bunt down on the first attempt.

It bugs me that players don’t take bunting as seriously as they should.

Feb 15, 2017
When DD was ten she went to Bama's camp. Guess how they taught her to bunt? Runners were on first and third. After the bunt runner on third scored, runner on first went to third and she was safe as well. As someone mentioned they told then at camp that if a bunt gets called you get it down. This pic was after she bunted the ball.
997f7e33db7f465f92b290214d6cec5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
If MLBers bunted, which if they are not pitchers they rarely do, and the owner/GM saw some coach telling Juan Soto to bunt like that, that coach better have a contingency plan for his career..

Oct 26, 2019
Since bunting has hijacked the thread anyway…

Here is proper bunt technique from a posture standpoint. Get low and get the eyes behind the bat with weight centered and not chest out in front and top heavy. So many kids miss this part.

Attachments

• 79754D8C-C754-41AD-AB36-C460E121EA8B.jpeg
    79754D8C-C754-41AD-AB36-C460E121EA8B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
If MLBers bunted, which if they are not pitchers they rarely do, and the owner/GM saw some coach telling Juan Soto to bunt like that, that coach better have a contingency plan for his career..
Bunting in MLB? Surely you jest!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet