1st Year U10 Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
I've been at 10U for 3 years...I could write a book on what worked and what didn't

Here's my reader's digest version:
Rule #1: Have ZERO expectations
Rule #2: Make ZERO Assumptions
Rule #3: Have FUN with IT!

You are starting to eat the proverbial elephant...don't try to eat it all at once (or jam it down their throats all at once) because you'll either choke on it or throw it up because they can only absorb so much. One bite at a time!

It does get better...we've won 2 of our last 6 tournaments and lost another in the finals. Patient and persistence. One last tip...I never have more than 2 or 3 things that I focus on in a practice. For example, if you are focusing on defensive base coverage, I move the bases in to make the throws shorter and the catches easier. Why? Because I don't want the focus to be on throwing and catching. I want the focus to be on "runner is here, ball is hit there...now what?" If I want to focus on throwing and catching, I don't care where the base runners are and every throw will be to 1st base, for example. This falls under my eat the elephant one bite at a time mantra...you will be tempted to do this often...It's always been a disaster for me...K.I.S.S. Keep it simple softball has been very effective for me at the 10U level...CP

You Sir.... have it EXACTLY right. I've been doing 10's - 14's for the last 11 years. Those are some of the things I do. Work one thing at a time and don't move on until they have the skill learned and understand the concept. Keep them moving and they will have fun while learning.

NEVER assume they know something. Most of the mistakes will come from confusion due to a lack of knowledge and experience.

Feb 7, 2013
At the beginning of each season I told the team and parents I wanted to accomplish 3 things:

1) teach softball fundamentals;
2) field a competitive team (not necessarily a winning team); and
3) make sure the players have fun.

Practices:
a) be organized
b) have a practice plan
c) breakout into drill stations (so players are not standing around)
d) make sure every player is working on the basics skills: catching, fielding, throwing, hitting, bunting, base running
e) work with the pitcher/catcher battery every practice (they may not be practicing enough at home)
f) the team needs to face live pitching as much as possible
g) 6 x 6 practice scrimmages
h) set-up the infield/outfield defense and have coach say "1 out, runner on second" and hit the ball, repeat with different scenarios. As an option, you can have a few girls run bases.
i) always finish the practice with a fun game, drill, competition.

Most importantly have patience. This is not life or death, and what the girls will remember 5 years from now is mostly the fun they had and the friendships they formed with their teammates. Good luck.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
I'm also coaching a team of 3rd ,4th,and 5th grade girls. The ability to stay focused is almost at nil during this age. Our first few practices were drills for throwing and catching which I saw were significantly deficient in comparison to hitting capabilities. We've now moved into a focused area of improvement based on our performance in the last game for the first 20 min of practice and then a 6 X 6 scrimmage so they can be prepared for the next game based on different scenarios. However, I can see some parents get upset when their daughter strikes out and they feel that they didn't get much from practice. I've also seen instances where I'm throwing an entire bucket of balls to a player and they can't hit one. There's only so much I can do in an hour practice with 12 girls. If you're upset that your daughter can't hit worth a lick, work on it at home with her. If she's not doing well in math at school, as a parent aren't you going to go over addition and subtraction at home?

Yesterday, we went over the proper mechanics for tagging someone in the baseline. I had a station at second base and a station at home plate for my catchers. The girls did great and they got a kick out of being able to tag me as the base runner. It was also a good opportunity for teaching what not to do as a baserunner in these situations (running out of the baseline or running backwards).

We needed to tackle one aspect of the game at a time. Trying to do too much in one practice means they won't retain it. You play like you practice. Practice makes permanent.

Best of luck to you and your girls!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44