16U vs 18U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Bumping this thread because there is some good information here, and it is currently pertinent to my DD.

In my particular region, it seems that there are more 18u showcases than 16u showcases. I'm sure that varies by region. And I am guessing that different colleges have different interests. For example, it seems to me that D2 and D3 schools are leaning more towards the 18u players, while D1 schools are more geared towards 16u. But I am new at this...

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
You can be a 16u team and enter a 18u showcase tourney. From my little bit of experience and the couple of showcases that my DD has attended it seems that the college coaches were there for specific players. That doesn't mean that another player can't catch a coaches eye. It's also important to attend the 'right' showcase also. Also important to find out what college coaches may be attending the showcase and e-mail that coach prior to that showcase. Doesn't hurt to e-mail a college coach and invite them to a showcase. I feel we started late on DD possibly getting recruited. Summer before junior year going into fall seems to be a better start. JMHO.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I started my DD with camps and clinics when she was 2nd year 12U. She's now moving on to 16U and still attacking the same schools/coaches and now branching out. She's going into her freshman year so there's still time. There really isn't a blue print for this process it's different for each family based on each players abilities, location, finances, travel team and contacts. However the insight people have given on here is very helpful and eye opening.

The one thing that stuck out to me is that you should do it yourself and never leave it in the hands of someone else. I'm blessed that my DD's org actually contacts any coach you ask them to for you, but this is not the norm as several orgs in my area don't do this at all.

Oct 18, 2009
Yes. I think it varies by region and type of school. If you are playing for a top national org that competes in PGF and has top teams then yes. 16u is fine. Their 18u teams are mostly committed so coaches will look at those 16u teams if they are browsing. But some orgs have only one real top gold/premier/showcase team that get on main fields. A younger player showing they can compete at the 18u level can help them get recruited as well. So the short answer is it depends. There is no one right answer for everyone. For some it's 16u. For some it's 18u. Assuming the player is playing at the appropriate competitive level for their skill is the bigger thing more than the age of team is contacting those coaches somehow and getting their attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13