12U pitchers throwing 58-60 mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Last year when my then 10 YO was playing 12U my Dad “how does my kid look against a pitcher” radar clocked a few kid at around 100 🤷🏽‍♂️

Mar 4, 2015
New England
My DD was on a fall school ball team with Kelly Barnhill when Kelly was 13 1/2 and still technically eligible for 12U, having turned 13 earlier that year. I saw a radar gun clock her at 64 mph in a game that fall. Didn't ask if the 64 mph was her personal best, either. The one holding the radar gun didn't act as if it had set a world record or anything. My DD fortunately never had to face Barnhill. She was 11, and 64 mph looked terrifying at the time. In fact, I'm sure it still does.

Jul 22, 2015
12u pitchers throwing 58-60 miles per hour.
Its a real thing.
Wonder how many % reach this potential at this age?
Guesses _____?

Makes an impression for players to work on their hitting!!!
Guessing 1%? I've seen 2 who could at that age. In reality, many girls never reach 60, much less anything higher regardless of age.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My DD was on a fall school ball team with Kelly Barnhill when Kelly was 13 1/2 and still technically eligible for 12U, having turned 13 earlier that year. I saw a radar gun clock her at 64 mph in a game that fall. Didn't ask if the 64 mph was her personal best, either. The one holding the radar gun didn't act as if it had set a world record or anything. My DD fortunately never had to face Barnhill. She was 11, and 64 mph looked terrifying at the time. In fact, I'm sure it still does.
That would have been incredible to have seen live and in person! Imagine her hitting a 65/85 lb. 11 year old in the ribs with that, it'd be a short FP career!

Feb 15, 2017
That would have been incredible to have seen live and in person! Imagine her hitting a 65/85 lb. 11 year old in the ribs with that, it'd be a short FP career!

I’m scared and I am behind a computer screen! Seriously though...60 at 40’ is nothing more than click click. Takes alot of luck to really square it up when its got some decent movement. That 43’ is a deal breaker for alot of these girls. It makes the good ones even better with 3 more feet of break.

This weekend we absolutely lit up a girl throwing 62-63. However a girl throwing 55 was practically un-hittable. All part of the game. As DW said “softball became really fun to watch at 14u”

Jul 5, 2016
See, most people don't see that, great point! Most "pitchers dads" just see losing speed when going from 40' to 43'.

My daughter lived and died by her curve. When she was hitting her spots, she was really tough to hit even though I don't think she was breaking 60 in 18U.

My experience with 60 at 12u was all gas but had no idea where it was going to end up. Just hoping batter would swing at something close. When looking at new pitchers our head coach is known for asking the kid to throw a 1st pitch strike. They can throw any pitch they want as long as it is a strike. My observation is “many” pitchers 16u and below throwing 58+ have trouble hitting spots.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles