12U pitchers throwing 58-60 mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
12u pitchers throwing 58-60 miles per hour.
Its a real thing.
Wonder how many % reach this potential at this age?
Guesses _____?

Makes an impression for players to work on their hitting!!!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I personally have never seen a 12U player throw 60, and I've been around a lot of pitchers! Not saying they're not out there, just never saw one myself. I did ride down to see Anna's former pitching coach last week, she had an 8th grader in there that was getting it done!! She clocked her 3 or 4 times at 57 and once at 58. Most 12U hitters aren't going to touch this girl!

As far as % of 12U throwing 60? Just purely a guess but easily single digit! Am I right, who knows?

Sep 19, 2018
My org has 3 12U teams. I believe we have 2 pitchers (Possibly 3), that consistently throw over 50mph. The number one on our A level team sits in the 58-60 mph in pitching lessons. I have no idea what she throws in-game. She is a young lady. A year older than my dd, her physical maturity is 5 years ahead. Her mental maturity is light years ahead. That team plays up and down the east coast and she is dominant.

Two weeks ago was the area B level 'opening' spring tournament. All of the Local teams where there. No one was even close to sniffing 60.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
12u pitchers throwing 58-60 miles per hour.
Its a real thing.
Wonder how many % reach this potential at this age?
Guesses _____?

Makes an impression for players to work on their hitting!!!

I have seen a lot of early physical maturers in 12U hit 58-60mph. For non-early maturers I think maybe 2 or 3. Having several early maturers on a team is a huge part of winning in 10U and 12U.

Of those - I would say probably about 10% of them get faster, larger, and better (and put the work in) as they get into the HS ages and some of these have become truly elite pitchers through HS and into college.

Of the rest - most of them just throw hard at 12U ('big girl, throw hard' is how DD describes them) and they get hit around by good hitters in 14U-A and HS. Some end up being average - a lot give up pitching or the game all together as everyone catches up with them physically, maturity and skills wise and they have never had to do the work to get better.

Of the 10/12U hard throwers that came through when my DD was through travel - locally only 3 made it all the way through to be dominant HS pitchers and end up on good college teams. The mid-speed/had to work/had to figure out how to get batters out were way more successful by mid-HS - but of course there are also way more of them out there as well.

Feb 15, 2017
Certainly not a dime a dozen but we played alot of 12u national teams last summer and I personally clocked over a dozen in the 58-62 range with a pocket radar. But...these are national A level teams playing the top competition from all over the country. The best of the best. Didn’t see anything close to that on your run of the mill regional A level teams.

May 6, 2015
maybe I just fall for lies (never personally clocked girls, gong pretty much by what coaches, parents, DD says), but I have been told that a lot of the 12u (B all) pitchers DD have played with tickled near 60, and on her current team (FY 14u), one girl throws 65, one 60, one in high 50s, one in high 40s to low 50s

Mar 8, 2017
Our team has a girl who's been timed with pocket radar at 58 mph (in game speed). Last year, we had a first year 12U also throwing 58 mph (she's since moved on to a different team, haven't seen her recently). This is one of the top area teams in So Cal, and it's not too unusual to see girls like her (when playing the top teams).

This is also the reason my smaller sized DD has switched to full time second base and stopped pitching 2 years ago. There was just no way she was going to be a top level pitcher in this area, but she's got a shot at being a great second baseman, so get in where you fit in, as they say.

Apr 25, 2019
It exists. There is a girl down here in South Louisiana throwing 61 at an LSU camp as a 12u player. Beth Torina was holding the radar herself. She is the 5th ranked 2025 pitcher in the country according to Extra Innings.

Oct 4, 2018
My DD is a good pitcher and a tall girl. She's 11. Has 1.5 years left in 12U.

She's in the low 50s.

We have some A-level players in our (Atlanta) area who are already in the mid-50s, and are only 11. They also have another 1.5 years of 12U ahead of them.

We played in a 12U A-level tournament in Birmingham last fall. Really good teams. I clocked everyone who looked fast. At least 10 girls were over 55.

All that said, most weekends we don't see anything over 50.

Jul 14, 2018
I’ve seen at least three break 60 at 12U, but that’s among hundreds of girls playing in our area. They were all early growers, 11 year olds in 5’8” bodies and weighing over 170.

I think it’s safe to say that size is the only factor in that kind of speed at 12U. They simply haven’t had the time and don’t have the body awareness to have maximized their throwing mechanics to an elite level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00