12u DD struggling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
Wanted to get some feedback on DD's swing and I know this is the place to seek input. DD is not hitting the ball solid the last 2 tournaments and it seems like she is hitting everything at the end of the bat. Any drills advice and what the trained eye of the hitting gurus see would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KytWoLg04nw

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
It looks to me that her eyes are not tracking the ball in.
Her swing is an "around" circular swing. He bat doesn't stay get deep and short into the zone and stay long through the zone.
I would give simple instructions: hit the ball toward right center or up the middle. Get your top hand through. AROUND THE BOTTOM HAND EARLY AND THROUGH OUT TOWARD CENTER!!!! As compared to both or bottom hand pulling and top hand around the bottom hand late and quick...rolling over...pulling the barrel up and out of the zone.

Jun 15, 2011
Thanks redhot coach. Would you suggest any drills to do, or just a lot of front toss stressing to hit right center? Much appreciated.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
2dkekcp.gif

wu5ugw.gif

befudc.gif

Jun 15, 2011
Fiveframe- are you saying she isn't driving her hip to the ball and instead pivoting which would cause a more circular swing? I am a novice, I love watching great hitters but do not understand the science of hitting. I always struggled with science. Any drills you would suggest? Thanks so much for your input.

May 6, 2012
Texas
From the angle of this video I would first say she is using all upper body she does not look to be using her legs at all. She is up too high needs more squat in her stance and drive her hip. Also, she looks to be letting go of her back hand too soon in the swing not allowing her to push through the swing. Next I would have to say her recoil is too much which could be allowing the ball to get too deep during tournaments. These are just a few things I see.

As far as drills go my #1 drill to help a batter is put the ball on a Tee. I think the Tee is the best tool a player can use in batting and most people over look. You can really break down her swing and help create the proper muscle memory. There are millions of Tee drills all over the internet.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Fiveframe- are you saying she isn't driving her hip to the ball and instead pivoting which would cause a more circular swing? I am a novice, I love watching great hitters but do not understand the science of hitting. I always struggled with science. Any drills you would suggest? Thanks so much for your input.

The last two videos were more to the point .....

wu5ugw.gif

befudc.gif

Your daughter doesn't use her lower body efficiently. She is an 'arm swinger'.

Focus on the upper rear leg action in the two clips above. Notice the forward, or turning in action, ahead of the barrel being worked with the hands/arms. Your daughter does not do that. Her source of energy generation is different ... pure arms IMO.

Jun 15, 2011
Thank you for the feedback. I will show DD the videos and focus on the rear upper leg. Last year I was stressing the load more(back pocket to the pitcher) but at a camp the coach said to just step to the ball and throw the barrel. We will get the tee out and do some front toss. Like I said in games she is pulling everything and hitting at end of bat. I also notice her first move is to stand up instead of staying low and driving the ball.uch appreciated.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you for the feedback. I will show DD the videos and focus on the rear upper leg. Last year I was stressing the load more(back pocket to the pitcher) but at a camp the coach said to just step to the ball and throw the barrel. We will get the tee out and do some front toss. Like I said in games she is pulling everything and hitting at end of bat. I also notice her first move is to stand up instead of staying low and driving the ball.uch appreciated.

....... let the "throw of the barrel" begin with this rear upper leg action. See if you feel a dynamic stretch generated along the backside, and that you end up working the barrel around/against this stretch as part of the "throwing of the barrel" that you are speaking of. The actual "throwing of the barrel" will further enrich this dynamic stretch.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
....... let the "throw of the barrel" begin with this rear upper leg action. See if you feel a dynamic stretch generated along the backside, and that you end up working the barrel around/against this stretch as part of the "throwing of the barrel" that you are speaking of. The actual "throwing of the barrel" will further enrich this dynamic stretch.

Frazier_nohands_front.gif
Frazier_nohands_side.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach