12 Y.O. pitcher taking a break

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
My 12 y.o. DD (13 next month) is a pitcher on a 1st year 14UA team. We had our last fall tournament this weekend. Pitching coach, mom, and I think she needs a break. She hasn't had a break from pitching all year except 1 week last December, 1 1/2 weeks when she tweaked her knee in September, and 5 days when she was sick the first part of October.

We need to fix some mechanics, so my main question is: Should we fix the mechanics now, and then take the break? Or take the break now, then work on the mechanics when we come back to pitching.

We are planning to take 6 weeks off with no ball in her hand. But, ultimately, daughter will decide when to start up again. We will be strength training though.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Take a break now and let her get some rest. Start up again in February or something. You have too few years with your children to make softball the center of the universe twelve months a year.

Oct 22, 2009
I agree this is the best time for a break, don't worry about the mechanics yet, maybe in January start with a little physical training as a slow transition into pitching again.

I make my pitchers take mandatory breaks after their last summer tournament.
I take 2 weeks off myself in December and tell my pitchers, hey if your not pitching.....I don't care:)

Dec 19, 2008
Take a break now and let her get some rest. Start up again in February or something. You have too few years with your children to make softball the center of the universe twelve months a year.

February? We start playing again in March. We'll need to get her mechanics back, work on more speed, and perfecting her change and drop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1