10U Practice Frequency

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2010
I've recently been accused of being "a little overzealous" when discussing this spring's practice schedule with my second-year 10U team. Typically we will practice an hour or so on one weeknight and 1.5 - 2 hours on Saturday morning. I'd like to get a feel for how much comparable teams practice.

We are an average B team playing a rec schedule and a few tourneys. I have toyed with the idea of going to once a week practices and then leaving it up to the parents to get their DDs the additional help they need (this is a scary thought to me...). Any thoughts?

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
I think it may depend on some extent to your league schedule. We are a 10U B (first year) town centric travel team. We have been holding indoor practices one week day night for 1 1/2 hrs and onew weekend day for 2 hours. If you are going to play a game or two a week it may not be realistic to also practice. I think you should try to get at leats one practice in per calandar week to try to reinforce skills, but it sounds like you will be playing a lot, which is what the girls really want to do anyway. As far as getting extrea help, the pitchers should throw everyday, and everyone else should be working with dear old dad, or mom, throwing and fielding.

Oct 19, 2009
Last year I coached an 8U rec team. We practiced two nights a week for two hours plus Saturday for two hours rain or shine. If we got rained out I booked us indoors and collected $6 from each parent at the door. At first the parents who didn't know me thought I was nuts and I heard some grumbles.

By the time we were undefeated mid season it was amazing the transformation in the parents who previously were grumbling about all the practice. By year end they were a bunch of softball junkies. It was lots of fun and the kids learned how to play softball.

What you're doing is no where near too much. By the time you warm up and stretch for 15 min an hour long practice isn't really enough time to accomplish anything.

Now I coach 10U travel and we practice WAY more.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
As a 10UA we have a 2 hour team practice once a weekend. Group hitting session of an hour once during the week. Pitcher & Catcher practice once during the week. Catching practice (usually before pitching) and then individual sessions once a week as needed.

Sep 3, 2009
I think for a comp team at A or B level, that's fine. That's the same as what ever similar team around here does.

Jan 25, 2010
Thanks for the input. I feel pretty good about the twice-a-weeks. When you add in the pitchers' practice and the batting lessons that many girls do, several of them are still seeing 3 - 4 practices a week.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I've helped with rec ball. I've always been happy with two hour weekend practices on Saturday before the season then one night a week for an hour and a half. We try to do more, but a lot of the parents haven't been too flexible with us. This season might be different, however.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
There is no such thing as too much practice. Only girls and parents and coaches who arent committed enough.

Id say, if you practice 3x a week, and practice the right things, teach the right skills, and have a decent couple of pitchers who have good instruction, you should be capable of playing A ball, there isnt much difference between stronger B teams and weaker A teams.

Look at it this way, 10yo boys on a competitive team will pracice football for 2.5 hrs a day, 4-5 days a week during a 4 month season, much of it during school, and that is also very physically taxing. Thats what it takes to field a competitive team and win. The avg effort put forth in baseball/softball usually pales by comparison. So why would anyone complain about a measly 3x week practice with only 2x during the week???

They arent used to it, thats all.

One defining attribute that I think all very successfull teams have, regardless of the sport, is that they practice, A LOT, sometimes up to 6 days per week before competitive play begins, and they require committment from players and parents.

If the players and parents BELIEVE in the coach, that there is a goal , Winning tournaments, national competition, etc., they will be much more aggreable to frequent practice.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Anything less than what you are doing, leaves the girls open to injury, because they aren't being prepared for the game.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
When we were 10U we practiced 3 times a week, about 2 hours each time. 10-12U are very important times to develop skills. You can't wait til 14u and think all will work out. But it depends on your goals as a team, too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid