10U not swinging the bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2011
My first post here, so please be kind.

Anyways, my daugther is playing with 10's on a Rec team, and she also plays with a 10 travel team. For whatever reason, 4 Rec games now, she has not swung the bat. She is not backing out of the box, she is tracking the ball, all the mechanics are there. During practice, and off the pitching machine, she crushes the ball. During the games, she just will not pull the trigger. Any ideas. It is driving me nuts.

Any help/ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dan...BellesDad

Jun 24, 2009
She has just realized she can probably make her own decision to walk or hit. At this age it is very common.

Mar 13, 2010
She is possibly frozen by indecision. One of the tools that is recommended here is that they go into every pitch as if they're going to swing. So everything starts, it's only once she realises it's a ball that she stops herself.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Yep, Lozza is spot on. (Assuming there have been pitches worth hitting) Some kids go to bat waiting to decide if a pitch is worth swinging at, and by the time they decide it is its too late. She needs to have the mindset that every pitch is worth hitting, and the only decision is to not swing once the pitch looks bad.

Make sure she is loading up on every pitch and takes her stride. Then she will be in position to swing the bat on every pitch. With this change in mindset, you and her coaches are going to have to keep quiet if she swings at a bad pitch now and then.

Oct 25, 2009
Discuss the issue with her coach. Suggest that he have a "must swing" signal (such as a hit and run).

Put the thought in her head that after two strikes it becomes a matter of not letting the ball get to the catcher. Or, "be a batter--not an umpire."

I've read that this type of issue comes from trying to be perfect. Let her know that not only is she not expected to be perfect, that she will not be perfect. She will get as many or more outs as she does hits--and that's a good thing; means you're normal.

Feb 3, 2011
My players are at the plate to swing. It doesn't have to be a perfect strike - if it's close, I want them on it. That's what I coach and they're buying into it. By swinging early, my goal is to get us a bigger strike zone from the PU.

I don't have any trees in my lineup, but if I did have 1, I'd tell her to go swing at 3 pitches and if she did that, she'd get a prize.

Apr 8, 2011
Thanks everyone for the responses. Much much appreciated. :) Great advice.

So I guess it's a common problem that she will have to work thru. I will reinforce loading up on every pitch and be prepared to swing. And to wohever said she is trying to be perfect, that may be her biggest problem.

Thanks
Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32