10u ball question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
Do 10u rec (ASA) have a choice between RIF and Dream Seam ball?

From reading online, it seems that it was left to the local boards to decide. If you're involved in the decision-making process, what influences that decision?

Some of the local instructors (not directly involved in our local league) were not aware that our league had switched from RIF to Dream Seam. My personal feeling is that the Dream Seam is a slightly more 'advanced' ball and that the clear majority of girls we're moving up from the 8s should still be playing with the softer ball.

Am I being overprotective and trying to limit our girls' progression? Our league, historically, has done a poor job of player development from T-ball upward. Our typical 10u team is about as good as your typical 8u team anywhere else.

Mar 15, 2010
Per ASA equipment rules: Girls 10U Size = 11", COR = .470 max, Description = White Cover/Yellow Optic Cover, Red Stitch only, Weight = at least 6.0 oz, Marking = ASA Logo Red Marking. As long as a ball meets these requirements it doesn't matter if it is RIF or not. When DD was in 10U we played RIF rec league and Dream Seam most, but not all, tournaments.

May 25, 2010
Thanks. I guess the only way to get better is to play with the better ball. I need to get out of the push-pull business and just push 'em as far as they are capable. :)

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Our league uses the RIF balls all the way through 12U.
I think as more of a safety issue. I do not see it as a hinderance at all. If everyone is using the same ball what difference does it make?

May 25, 2010
Our league uses the RIF balls all the way through 12U.
I think as more of a safety issue. I do not see it as a hinderance at all. If everyone is using the same ball what difference does it make?

Because they field all-star teams starting with the 10s, they want our girls to play with the ball they'd be using in the summer tournaments.

I favor the RIF ball for that age, too, but their minds are made up. We're shopping for fielder's masks now.

Apr 1, 2010
We switched away from the RIF balls during our first 8U machine pitch season

The Jugs pitching machines that the local sports alliance provided couldn't seem to throw the RIFs accurately. One pitch would be way over the girl's head, the next would come bouncing along the ground. They were (slightly) worse than our wildest 10U pitcher on a bad day. ;-) The coaches started experimenting and figured out that the accuracy was much better with regular 11-inch softballs, so they got the league to agree to have all the girls switch over. The girls got used to the standard balls and never went back.

Jul 28, 2008
The Jugs pitching machines that the local sports alliance provided couldn't seem to throw the RIFs accurately. One pitch would be way over the girl's head, the next would come bouncing along the ground. They were (slightly) worse than our wildest 10U pitcher on a bad day. ;-) The coaches started experimenting and figured out that the accuracy was much better with regular 11-inch softballs, so they got the league to agree to have all the girls switch over. The girls got used to the standard balls and never went back.

I wouldn't use anything but dimple balls in a machine. It's hard on the top plate and the softballs. Your best bet would be using The Ultimate Pitching Machine. It's non-powered and works well with standard softballs. I always hated using the Jugs machine when I had girls running around it with long hair.

Mar 15, 2010
I wouldn't use anything but dimple balls in a machine. It's hard on the top plate and the softballs. Your best bet would be using The Ultimate Pitching Machine. It's non-powered and works well with standard softballs. I always hated using the Jugs machine when I had girls running around it with long hair.

I prefer the Abby 1996.

Pros: It can walk itself on to the field and can be powered by water, bubble gum and sunflower seeds. It can throw a pitch anywhere from low 40's to high 50's.

Cons: Attitude can be a problem at times and is known to become erratic when crazy dad/coach makes comments on how to make adjustments.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan