10U/12U Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2023
My daughter just finished playing a 10U season. She is technically eligible for another year of 10U due to being born 2 days after the age cut off, but hopefully will move up to 12U to stay with her existing team. Usually what I will do is purchase a bat in the fall for her to practice with through the winter as we live in New England and do a lot of batting cages and indoor practices through the winter months. She will then use that bat in her spring and summer tournaments. Currently she swings an Easton Firefly drop 12, but i’d like to go to a drop 11 or even -10, so I’ve had her swing some her teammates bats to get a sense of what she likes. She prefers a double barrel (not sure if this is due to the look or what). However, the two bats that she has liked the feel of best are the mantra and mantra plus. I’ve heard mixed reviews on these. I’m just wondering if there are any other good double barrel options for a hopeful 12U player who is pretty consistent with getting on base though she doesn’t get big hits at this point she’s excellent at making contact. She is around 94lbs and around 4’10”. Thanks!

Jun 8, 2024
My daughter just finished playing a 10U season. She is technically eligible for another year of 10U due to being born 2 days after the age cut off, but hopefully will move up to 12U to stay with her existing team. Usually what I will do is purchase a bat in the fall for her to practice with through the winter as we live in New England and do a lot of batting cages and indoor practices through the winter months. She will then use that bat in her spring and summer tournaments. Currently she swings an Easton Firefly drop 12, but i’d like to go to a drop 11 or even -10, so I’ve had her swing some her teammates bats to get a sense of what she likes. She prefers a double barrel (not sure if this is due to the look or what). However, the two bats that she has liked the feel of best are the mantra and mantra plus. I’ve heard mixed reviews on these. I’m just wondering if there are any other good double barrel options for a hopeful 12U player who is pretty consistent with getting on base though she doesn’t get big hits at this point she’s excellent at making contact. She is around 94lbs and around 4’10”. Thanks!

My daughter is going to 14U, played this last season in 12U. She's 5' 3", about 150 lbs. I had to go from a size 31, -10 drop, to 32, -10 drop. She felt it was good for her size. She has the Marucci Echo DMND connect since she is a power hitter, but then I got her a Xeno 2024. She prefers her Marucci. It's going to be preference but I would not overlook the Marucci lineup for softball, they are solid, durable, and great for power hitters. It also feels great on the hands she has not complained about feeling stings and vibrations.

You have to figure out her height and weight and then look at the recommended bat size. I went first to a sporting goods store to try out bats and once we figured out the right bat and size got a deal online.

Justbats.com is a great resource and they usually have deals: https://www.justbats.com/buying-guides/softball-bats/

HQ4Sports is great too

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughter is going to 14U, played this last season in 12U. She's 5' 3", about 150 lbs. I had to go from a size 31, -10 drop, to 32, -10 drop. She felt it was good for her size. She has the Marucci Echo DMND connect since she is a power hitter, but then I got her a Xeno 2024. She prefers her Marucci. It's going to be preference but I would not overlook the Marucci lineup for softball, they are solid, durable, and great for power hitters. It also feels great on the hands she has not complained about feeling stings and vibrations.

You have to figure out her height and weight and then look at the recommended bat size. I went first to a sporting goods store to try out bats and once we figured out the right bat and size got a deal online.

Justbats.com is a great resource and they usually have deals: https://www.justbats.com/buying-guides/softball-bats/

HQ4Sports is great too

Or you can contact me for better deals. We carry all major brands.

I agree with you about Marucci. They are great bats.

Mar 9, 2024
Or you can contact me for better deals. We carry all major brands.

I agree with you about Marucci. They are great bats.

Hi. I'd love your advice and pricing on some bats. My daughter is almost 10, 5'0, and 105lbs. She measures for a 31" bat per the measuring tape. She's playing 11u C ball this year. I'm looking for a starter composite and, I guess, a cheaper alloy since they hit off a machine sometimes and our weather can get cold in-seasons.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Hi. I'd love your advice and pricing on some bats. My daughter is almost 10, 5'0, and 105lbs. She measures for a 31" bat per the measuring tape. She's playing 11u C ball this year. I'm looking for a starter composite and, I guess, a cheaper alloy since they hit off a machine sometimes and our weather can get cold in-seasons.
I would consider a 31-20 to be the best size, if you feel the 31" bat is the right length. If you're not adverse to a used bat, you could save a lot of money on a good bat. At that size, they're rarely beat that bad that they break. A good DeMarini CF or a Louisville Slugger LXT in that size would be a good starter. You can also look for a used Marucci Echo in that size.

As for alloy bats, there are several options on the cheaper side. The problem is they will have a very different feel than the composite, which she may not like. Easton, Marucci, Mizuno, and Anderson make them, but they're all lighter drop weights that are designed for LL girls just starting to swing a bat.

Mar 9, 2024
I would consider a 31-20 to be the best size, if you feel the 31" bat is the right length. If you're not adverse to a used bat, you could save a lot of money on a good bat. At that size, they're rarely beat that bad that they break. A good DeMarini CF or a Louisville Slugger LXT in that size would be a good starter. You can also look for a used Marucci Echo in that size.

As for alloy bats, there are several options on the cheaper side. The problem is they will have a very different feel than the composite, which she may not like. Easton, Marucci, Mizuno, and Anderson make them, but they're all lighter drop weights that are designed for LL girls just starting to swing a bat.
Is there a lower-priced one-piece composite that you might recommend? I tend to be really wary of used stuff without warranty that is only known to be inherently fragile/finicky.

I'm surprised by the lack alloy options in lower drops. How do you mitigate the "don't use for..." circumstances for composites without that option?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The allow bats, with the exception of the Anderson Rocketech, are cheap bats for beginners.

Marucci Echo is a very good one-piece composite at a lower price point. Mizuno also makes the CRBN1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalWood1013