You make the Call!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2010
We are playing in a 12U championship game against a team that is older, pretty close game at this point. We have screwed around and have let them load the bases up with one out. A routine grounder is hit to the 2b, she comes up on the ball and fields it cleanly and has dropped to her left knee to throw the ball to the SS that is coming to second to cover. The runner on first that is now running towards 2b lowers her shoulder and runs straight through the 2B's back. It was a Ray Lewis type hit!! The ump immediately holds out his arm for interferance ( calls it out also) and declares the runner out. It was as bad of a looking play as you ever want to see.

My question is, should or could the runner been ejected from the game? She was not. I was PO'd, and was really mad when I could hear their parents saying she's gotta get out of the baseline.

Jun 22, 2008
Umpire shouldnt have been holding an arm out for a dead ball. Arm held out is a delayed dead ball which would normally be an obstruction call. Interference is an immediate dead ball with is both arms in the air and a call of dead ball. Also, if the umpire judged the actions by the runner to be an attempt to break up a double play, the immediate trailing runner is also called out. All runners would also be returned to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

As for ejection, that is a had to be there situation. If it was flagrant and she lowered her shoulder it probably should have also been an ejection.

After rereading post again, had F4 already thrown the ball to 2nd, or was she still in the process of throwing the ball when she was run over?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
If the runner hit a defenseless second baseman when they weren't looking, especially if an elbow or shoulder is put into it, they should have been ejected immediately.

Was the other team in support of this kind of behavior? If this is the case I would even move to get that team eliminated from the league or tourney that you were in.

(They don't even allow this in football anymore with receivers - and they have pads & helmets on!)

Jun 3, 2010
Well when you try for a tag that sometimes causes more trouble getting the first out. She was trying to start a double play. Have they turned them before- Yes, would they have turned it then, I dont know. But both infielders were in position to try for it.
It wouldnt have changed anything if she tried for a tag other than she would have gotten a shoulder to the face instead of the back.

Jun 20, 2008
Once the fielder threw the ball to the SS she has to get out of the way of the runner trying to advance at the point she released the ball she was obstructing the base path or the base runner.

Jan 25, 2011
Hey shockcoach, not to change the subject, but is that your dd's picture for your avatar. If it is looks like she got a nice buck, how many points? congrads to her.

Jun 3, 2010
She had fielding position first and was in the process of releasing the ball. The ball went one way, her mask went another and her face went into the ground. The choice the fielder made to go to second with the ball is irrelavant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy