wrist snap?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
Thought I would change the subject a little. In the past we had never been in favor of wrist snap(or finger snap, which ever you prefer), but we have changed are thinking after finally finding an instructor who pitched in D1 and then professionally. Been working with her for 6 weeks and the improvement of speed and movement is outstanding. All the drills that we never did that involved snapping are now something we believe in. My DD was never any slouch on speed and placement and has been very successful and also made All State in IL as a freshman. But we knew she needed more than what I could offer so we finally found what we needed. So I thought I would post a couple of screen captures from Cat and Amanda for discussion. Of course it will be open for interpretation, but I see a snap. Very noticeable on Cat. Doesnt matter to me what pitch it is, she is snapping. I also have a screen shot of her hand on top of the ball and is pushing it down. But that is for another discussion.

Attachments

• snap1.jpg
    snap1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 138
  • snap2.jpg
    snap2.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 118
  • snap3.jpg
    snap3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 121
  • snap4.jpg
    snap4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 120
  • snap6.jpg
    snap6.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Aug 19, 2011
Will follow this with interest. I don't know that you can see an intentional wrist snap at that frame rate, but you certainly can see the whip-snapping chain of speed-adding elements, from humerus to hand. I would expect wrist snap exercises to have a different effect on an experienced pitcher adding them to a motion that includes elbow lag and internal rotation, than on a beginner who focuses on the wrist snap and locks the elbow.

Jul 12, 2008
Tuscola, IL
Amy, yes we have talked about it before, but many new faces here and now my daughter has personal experience from changing the way she thinks in relation to snapping. Not saying it is right wrong or a no teach, every pitcher is different but it has had a very positive effect for her personally. So I thought I would mention it.

Jul 14, 2008
I'd love to see that shot of the hand on top of the ball anywhere before 3:00.........I'd love to add it to my archives........

As far as determining mechanical actions from a "screen shot", well that would be pretty tough to do.......

I think imparting any kind of spin on a ball requires some kind of wrist action........

The stills of your DD appear to be the result of I/R whip on the wrist.......With added directional manipulation for respective spin direction......

I you call that "wrist snap" I'm fine with it........

IF you call the "underhand wave" where the wrist goes from extention to flexion in a straight through manner "wrist snap" then I'm against it..........

Jun 18, 2010
BM, what is the wrist action we should look for and how is that feeling taught or conveyed to our pitchers?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I reviewed this thread, very good debate. What do you think about the drills and the instruction here:

The concept of ‘sequencing’ is a concept frequently used by Kirk Walker to lead to ‘whip’.

Use of the ‘clicker’ seemed to reinforce a mental image of getting “on top” and “behind the ball” … which was further reinforced in the slow motion portion of the video. The concept of ‘whip’ was discussed in the absence of IR … sort as if this instructor ignored the upper arm IR action and emphasized a forced forearm action instead. The prep portion leading to IR, which often includes ER, was completely overlooked.

Jun 18, 2010
The concept of ‘sequencing’ is a concept frequently used by Kirk Walker to lead to ‘whip’.

Use of the ‘clicker’ seemed to reinforce a mental image of getting “on top” and “behind the ball” … which was further reinforced in the slow motion portion of the video. The concept of ‘whip’ was discussed in the absence of IR … sort as if this instructor ignored the upper arm IR action and emphasized a forced forearm action instead. The prep portion leading to IR, which often includes ER, was completely overlooked.

FFS, I agree with your observations. This video was able to describe to DD how to slot the elbow, establish a firm front side, and whip against the front side better than I was able to communicate it. I also thought the instructor effectively communicated the sequencing of the actions. What would be extremley helpful is this type of sequencing by our IR gurus where the arm is at 3:00, palm up, showing the rest of the motion to release broken down in steps as she as done.

As it relates to this thread she is really emphasizing the wrist action, in addition to the arm whip.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207