would you or wouldnt you

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

would you send runner from 1B

• yes

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • no

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think a lot depends on the catcher arm strength /pop time. Is she a stud? Have you been able to steal on her earlier in the game? If you have successfully stole on her already then just straight steal and have runner on 3rd read the throw and hope the ball gets away from SS. I am going to let the hot batter win it.

Jun 8, 2016
Whether or not you even straight up steal there probably depends on how much of a dropoff there is between the current batter and the kid on deck since if the coach is smart he walks the current batter to load the bases once it becomes 2nd and 3rd...

May 6, 2015
I guess I worded both original and revised poorly. question was whether or not to let the batter decide game, or attempt any type of advancement (considering there wer two outs).

May 7, 2015
SoCal
No, the game is in the hands of the batter.. Passed ball ties game. Base hit ties game. Any chance of being thrown out at 2B LOSES the game. The only way that works is if your 1B runner is "good enough" to stay in a pickle long enough for the tie run to score.

I take my chances with the batter

Jul 22, 2015
No chance I'm going to let it be decided on the bases with a good hitter at the plate. Win or lose my hitter gets the chance to hit.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Whether or not you even straight up steal there probably depends on how much of a dropoff there is between the current batter and the kid on deck since if the coach is smart he walks the current batter to load the bases once it becomes 2nd and 3rd...

This is a common refrain in softball and baseball, but it makes no sense to me. With two outs, I don't understand why you wouldn't IBB the hitter with runners on 1st and 3rd, but you would with runners on 2nd and 3rd. If you don't want to face the batter, you have an open base regardless.

Jun 8, 2016
This is a common refrain in softball and baseball, but it makes no sense to me. With two outs, I don't understand why you wouldn't IBB the hitter with runners on 1st and 3rd, but you would with runners on 2nd and 3rd. If you don't want to face the batter, you have an open base regardless.
Agree but in this case a IBB with runners on first and third puts the winning run on 2b so the coach may be less inclined to do it.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I’m with pattar and CoachJD on this one, I’m walking her to load the bases and have a force at every base. No way am I going to let the “hot” batter beat me, I’ll take my chances with the girl on deck!

Coaching scenarios like this one, live and in the moment are what it’s all about, gambling, guessing, praying, pulling that right number, luck…..love some luck!! Good stuff that’ll make your hair fall out!

Jun 8, 2016
I’m with pattar and CoachJD on this one, I’m walking her to load the bases and have a force at every base. No way am I going to let the “hot” batter beat me, I’ll take my chances with the girl on deck!

Coaching scenarios like this one, live and in the moment are what it’s all about, gambling, guessing, praying, pulling that right number, luck…..love some luck!! Good stuff that’ll make your hair fall out!
Even with 1st and 3rd or just if they steal? With it being 1st and 3rd the dropoff would have to be pretty significant..a blooper likely wins it with the bases loaded.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd