World Series

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Isn't the whole point of the IFR to not create a disadvantage for the offense by forcing them into a dbl play? I don't know if they could of made a play on that dropped ball. I did hear one commentator state the ball traveled some 225 feet which would of given the OF a chance at throwing out one runner at second or one at third but not a dbl play.

It was an ugly game. And how the Rangers ended up playing in the wild card is a mystery to me after leading the entire season.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
<---- Braves fan all my life.

We lost the game because Chipper threw the ball into center field instead of 2nd base. Or maybe it was Dan Uggla throwing the ball to God knows where instead of 1st base. Or, maybe it was Andrelton Simmons running inside the base line. No, I know! It was Andrelton Simmons throwing the ball home after he bobbled it and had no chance of making that play and should have went to 1st! Braves had the best fielding percentage in MLB, but for whatever reason they choke in the post season. It's a tough life of a Braves fan :(

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
What do you think of the strike zone box they have on TV that shows you the pitch location. I love it, I have noticed though, the MLB network will only put it up when it confirms the umps call. I have never seen a strike called, that is just outside the line, and no ball calls that are straddling the line. On other networks, several times a game you will see a pitch that was called "wrong", but never on MLB.

I too enjoy the strike box, wish there was a portable unit for DD's games. :) That would be some awesome data to work with for any team.

I wish we had more views from this angle as far as pitching is concerned. And wish this guy was our ump when in the circle.

Oct 8, 2012
Unfortunate call for Atlanta no doubt; however, where on the field infield fly is called doesn't matter according to the rulebook. If an infielder has a reasonable chance of making the play which it looked like the SS had before being 'called off' by the LF, the call seemed correct. either way it's MLB and these guys get paid millions of $$$ letting a ball drop like that is inexcusable.

Jun 24, 2011
menomonee falls, wi
Great vid GD, makes a pitchers life easier with a strike zone like that!!

On another note, great to see my boy Prince starting out a whopping
1 for 8, good thing his team hasn't needed his bat (yet).

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The IF call was correct.

The fair batted ball could have been caught with ordinary effort by the SS. Remember, moving to the ball isn't extraordinary ball especially at that level.

Umpires are taught to watch if the infielder ever turns his back to the infield, that isn't ordinary effort. In this play, the infielder never turned his back to the infield. If the infielder camps under the ball, it is usually normal effort. In this play, the SS squared up facing the infield and held up and spreads his arms as if calling for the ball. And still had time to get the jitters and step out from underneath the ball before it reached the ground.

The location of the ball (other than eventually over fair territory) or the player is irrelevant to the application of the rule. Always has been.

Normally, this call will not be made simply due to the range of view the umpires have. What made this different was the addition of another umpire who had nothing else to do than watch the ball and fielder. Normally, the BU (not going out on the ball) is heading toward the infield, the PU to a holding zone on 3B and they would not have the depth perception as to the ball/fielder relation that the umpire on the LFL had.

Those who want to hang their hat on the timing should know better if they have been hanging around these boards. And you also need to remember the signal is secondary. No one knows what or when anything was announced by the LFU except those on the field.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I too enjoy the strike box, wish there was a portable unit for DD's games. :) That would be some awesome data to work with for any team.

I wish we had more views from this angle as far as pitching is concerned. And wish this guy was our ump when in the circle.

We have an ump in our area with a zone like that. he used to do all baseball when my son was playing, and recently he started doing softball. My dd had him at the plate one day last year so she remembers how he calls them and she started out the game throwing everything over the chalk, I don't think the other team's pitcher trusted him enough to pitch it there. If she had she would have gotten strike calls too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy