Winter throwing program

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
The knee is very vulnerable during the throw. I tore my meniscus in January and have had a slow come back (I'm not a player but a coach)....I just hurt it again last week throwing slow front toss, your knee takes so much weight/abuse. Mine is"front knee" but you're driving off back knee/leg is the same if not more stress.

I agree with everyone, be careful and work with your doctors (not us : >)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The front knee in particular is subject to a lot of stress and/or torque during hitting and throwing. Work closely with your doc and PT so that you don't overdo it. A sports PT who understands BB/SB and the movements and stresses is very helpful.

Until you're cleared to begin hitting, catching a pitching machine while sitting on an excercise ball (as long as its OK w/ your med staff) will help keep your hitting eye sharp and provide some help with timing. Sounds somewhat silly, but it helped DD bounce back quickly.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Another caveat based on what DD ran into: She lost range in IR and didn't gain enough strength in OR to match IR, which destabilized the joint.

I'm not qualified to recommend stretches or exercises, but I'd suggest a conversation with someone who is.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My wife is a PT. Been licensed for 24 years. Did her Master's in Sports medicine, was the orthopedic coordinator for a major hospital that had 3 specialties one of which was ortho. She wrote the treatment protocols for all ortho injuries and surgical treatments there. The number of college and pro athletes and coaches she has treated is fairly high.

She wouldn't even know where to begin with developing a throwing program. She could look at a program a coach developed and could tell you if it were safe for a person with your condition, but to actually develop it. Not really. Through my wife I have met probably 200 PTs, 2 of which might be able to develop such a program on their own. Be careful what people are selling you, just because they have all the right letters after their name, it doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
SoftballNinja,

I can design a program for you based off of your injury. I've worked with numerous athletes on throwing post-op with hip surgery or knee surgery. Modifications will have to occur because of your injury but there shouldn't be any reason for you not to get your arm in shape and continue to work on arm action and improve movement patterns. Until you are able to progress from stationary throws to low intensity step and throws to higher intensity step and throws and then finally to shuffle/crow hop throws, modifications such as seated throws and arm action drills will have to occur. Listen to your PT in terms of time frame and see when you can start doing progression throws (stationary standing, step and throw etc. etc.)

Let me know! Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks,

Austin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA