Winter throwing program

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
I've been out since May with an injury (ACL tear, and had surgery 2 weeks ago). I can begin light athletic activities around 3 months after the surgery (instead of the full 6 until contact sports), so my doctor said that would include throwing and hitting (not in games obviously). Because I won't have thrown for about 5 months, I want to know if there is any program I could follow to warm my arm back up to where it used to be and then improve on that.

I'm going to throw a lot over the winter, starting out easy and then gradually working back to my former condition. It would be nice to have a program to follow so I don't strain my arm. Does anyone know of one that exists?

Thanks!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Your surgeon and your physical therapist, would be the best people to advise you. As I recall, there were always printouts available to my daughter.

Apr 9, 2012
A good physical therapist is worth their weight in gold. Explain your goals to them and you will have all the answers and support you need. This injury and rehab is not to be taken lightly if you wish to play at full strength again.

PT!

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
There have been a few threads on here where people modified the Jaeger Sports long-toss program. IIRC the unaltered Jaeger plan is considered a little too extreme for some. It is undeniably an offseason throwing plan designed to build up your "arm" to where it will sustain you through the season.
How much your knee can sustain is something else.

I will say that you should fully incorporate rest as a part of any plan you make.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
Thanks everyone. My physical therapist and doctor are treating my knee however, and there is nothing "wrong" with my shoulder/arm, as it was never actually injured. So, I don't know what kind of information they could give me, besides info about rehabbing an injured shoulder. I just want to make sure I don't jump back into things too quickly.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Curious too to see if anyone has a specific program. If you were throwing well before, and haven't had arm pain, then you could as you say just slowly build up reps and distance. Just pay attention to your body.

I have heard a sport med doctor make claims about the size and weight of balls. He had a specific program that including changing the size and weight of balls, as well as the reps and distance. I wish I had a record of that. Maybe someone will chime in with more info.

Apr 9, 2012
Being the knee is a huge part of the throwing mechanics Id still talk to them. Theyll need to get the knee up to speed. If it is not your body will compensate and create poor habits and/or potantial compensation injuries.

I am a medic and work with injured patients all day long. On the surgical and PT side :)

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Here's the one I've seen referenced:
Jaeger Sports

I searched here for "Jaeger" and got this previous thread:
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-catching/9580-proven-long-toss-drills-catchers.html

I had debated on the linked post above. Ended at the time I had bought a weighted ball.
So we have been following basically Jaegar type long tossing program. Building up distance with easy arching throws to max distance with one bounce. Plus the difference of ball sizes. We start with a baseball to warm up(more for me). Start adding distance and regular softball, working to just softball and max distance. After max distance we begin pull down phase of getting closer, throwing harder, more on a line. We bring it down to 60 feet, then switch to baseball, 8oz softball, 10oz softball, and back to baseball. About 5-8 throws each at 100% effort. If we have time, and it is below 100 degrees, we then work on throw downs to 2nd and 3rd (about twice a week).

Every session ends with me in pain, looking for ice and ibuprofen. Dd that could not throw long without elbow or shoulder pain a year ago, frequently seen stretching and whincing after every throw down, now never has arm pain and gets tired of me asking how her arm feels.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA