Who do you have cover 3b in this situation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
You can have first baseman stay back (some first baseman are put there because they don't move well, unfortunately, compared to others). Pitcher could field those bunts, but I worry about collisions with the baserunner.

If definitely depends on the abilities of the individual players. Having P cover bunts on the first base side is possible with a fast P and slow 1B. This simplifies the decision making process, since 1B covers first, 2B covers second, and SS covers third. With this approach, it will probably be necessary to bring in a relief pitcher in the middle of the game, since the opposing team will probably bunt towards first to wear the pitcher down. With two good pitchers, though, it could be a viable strategy.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If definitely depends on the abilities of the individual players. Having P cover bunts on the first base side is possible with a fast P and slow 1B. This simplifies the decision making process, since 1B covers first, 2B covers second, and SS covers third. With this approach, it will probably be necessary to bring in a relief pitcher in the middle of the game, since the opposing team will probably bunt towards first to wear the pitcher down. With two good pitchers, though, it could be a viable strategy.

We did this all last season and never had this issue. I guess no one was willing to give up that many outs on the chance that the pitcher might get tired enough to need to be pulled. It helped I suppose to have athletic pitchers who could pull it off.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Is it just me, or does it seem that as pitchers become more specialized or advanced at pitching (i.e., older 14U-18U), the worse they get at throwing OH to first?

Mar 13, 2010
It can happen if you don't practise. Part of my practise with the older girls is having them pitch, then them run to pick up a ball. It does happen, but it doesn't necessarily need to.

Jan 31, 2011
Had some interesting discussion with one of my assistant coaches lately on who should cover third base with runner on 1B, less than 2 outs, and a bunt is laid down.

What do you teach on your team?

a) 3b fields bunt then hustles back to third?
b) you've already conceded 2nd to the runner on 1B so have the SS cover third?
c) bring in the Left fielder to cover third, have SS hold the runner on 2B?
d) something else entirely?

Assume young (10 - 12u) but elite travel players.

Back to original question...

This is the way we teach it. Bunt down with runner on 1st base (0 or 1 out). Either F1 or F5 covers if they do not field the bunt. F6 covers 2nd base, F3 charges in to cover her side, F4 covers 1st base. Once the out is thrown to first base, F4 automatically fires to F6 at 2nd base. F7 is backing up the throw. However, if F4 feels the runner is going to 3rd base without stopping at 2nd, she fires to 3rd base.

You would be surprised the number of double plays we have turned on the runner rounding 2nd base.

Nov 1, 2009
Assuming the bunt is toward third base we would have 3b field the bunt and throw out the batter or throw to second for the lead. If we are going to second it is called prior to the bunt based on the lack of speed on first base.

Once the play has started the catcher is already moving toward third base, and first base is headed toward home so you have your necessary coverage having them continue on for the cover. SS sits on second for the over run and the throw behind and the pitcher is in the circle so we can kill the play.

We practice more bunt coverage than any other defensive play. The key to defending the bunt is getting an out every time. It is okay to trade a base for an out and in five years we have had so few go first to third that I don't recall it ever happening. Teams know if you can defend and the last thing they want to do is give you two outs on a successful sacrifice.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
1st and 3rd base come up even with the pitcher when bunt is shown
Pitchers stays put in case it comes to them and they can make an easy throw for a play (plus we do not want them making a play at a base coming from an odd angle and risking injury when there are plenty of capable people around her to help.)
Catcher only comes out to the ball if in their opinion is only a few steps away and the batter is running and out of the way (does not happen often as the pitcher can usually come up fast on the ones hit straight out about 5'-10').
2nd base covers 1st
SS covers 3rd
CF hustles up and covers 2nd
RF and LF know they are to be prepared to cover more ground.

This is how we cover it and it was effective for us. In the fall and we got outs on all bunts attempted against us. Probably attempted on us about 10-12 times in 6 tournaments in 10U (our age). We find more coaches use it as a tool to confuse a defense at this age as most teams are not to cover all bases with a plan. An example is...batter shows bunt for two pitches then backs off and hits the ball solid in hopes our players did not get back to normal positioning. If this happens hits that are easily fielded now have gaps to get through. Also, it really messes with a young inexperienced pitcher to see bunt. We make sure to practice with them and let them know the best things a pitcher can do when shown bunt is to throw it right down the middle and trust her defense. The more we got out the more confident out pitchers became and less rattled the were when a hitter showed bunt.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Had some interesting discussion with one of my assistant coaches lately on who should cover third base with runner on 1B, less than 2 outs, and a bunt is laid down.

What do you teach on your team?

a) 3b fields bunt then hustles back to third?
b) you've already conceded 2nd to the runner on 1B so have the SS cover third?
c) bring in the Left fielder to cover third, have SS hold the runner on 2B?
d) something else entirely?

Assume young (10 - 12u) but elite travel players.

I have never coached a team this young, and typically I allow for different configurations in bunt defense according to age. So there are better coaches to address this age group. However, I have a few thoughts.

How are you going to change your defenses from 1st base playing back, to say, the "wheel play" when you have a runner on 2nd base, 1st and 2nd, 3rd, 2nd and 3rd, or the bases loaded? Are you going to switch back and forth between rotations?

With only a runner on first, you can play your 1st baseman back, and the pitcher can cover the area in front of her and the first base line if she is a good fielder. That would be no problem. But now what do you do if you have a runner on other bases? I must say here emphatically, that I am not calling for any other priority with kids this young!!!!! They are probably too young and inexperienced to execute the "wheel play".

Lets take a runner on 3rd (potentially plus 2nd base) for example. I will squeeze bunt against you up the first base line. The first baseman is moving back, or at best confused, and a right handed pitcher has to field and pivot to make a strong and accurate throw to the plate? I just scored! Unless the run is irrelevant to the outcome, and you have focus on the out, I just scored.

So consistency is an important factor in short game or late game defenses to avoid confusion about priorities and responsibilities.

***********************************************************************************

How do you handle an international tie-breaker? I saw two coaches screw up (and one horrible umpiring crew screwed Japan royal) at the "World Cup" in Oklahoma City this year, and Russia blew their "sweet 8" game against The Netherlands in Italy in the Euro Championships doing the same thing.

In Oklahoma City, Austrailia was the visiting team. So was Russia. With the mandatory runner on 2nd, they walked the first batter to create a force at third. The girl got to third, and now there was 1 out. Then the Australian coach left first base open, with runners on 2nd and 3rd. So now there is no force at the plate, and where is the throw going on an infield bunt, a ground ball to the infielder, or a fly ball to the outfield? There are no longer any force-outs.

Why would it be important to create a force out on the lead and winning run at 3rd, but not at home. The next play resulted in a total breakdown and the run scored. I remember the Russian sequence well, and it took exactly the same scenario against The Netherlands. Netherlands was the Home Team. With 1 out and runners on 2nd and 3rd, the Cuban coaching Russia left 1st base open. With rare batter exceptions, why would you create a force at 3rd, but not a force at home? The infield and outfield as I recall were not even pulled up properly. So the next batter was a slapper, trying to power up, who hit a hard ground ball to the 2nd baseman. The 2nd baseman looked at home, pivoted back toward first, looked at home, and then threw late to 1st base. So what? The winning run scored! She may as well have had the team sign the ball and put the final score on it!

The team was confused and didn't know its priorities. The coach was busy being dramatic in the Carlos Zambrano fashion kicking dirt and screaming about the previous play by his team. As a result, they were completely confused.

So I have three points here:

Can 10U or 12U girls work the "wheel play" effectively? I think not.

Why would you create a force out at 3rd against the potential winning run in regulation or the International Tie Breaker, but not at home plate, especially if you are the Visiting team?

And lastly, the Visiting team should be winning 65% of all International Tie Breakers!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
Kids this age (10U and 12U), I think you keep 1B at first and do not rotate or "wheel" your infielders. Consider who is typically your 2B at this age. She is typically your weakest infielder. You definitely want to get the out at first if you are making the play there, and the percentage goes down when you have your weakest infielder covering that base on a bunt. As the girls get older, your second baseman will be good enough to cover successfully, but with younger kids I just don't think it's worth taking the chance that you don't get the out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck