Who do you have cover 3b in this situation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
In the younger ages we use P as a deterrent. When coach sees good cover/rotation at 3B
runner will stop at 2B. If 5 is no fielding the bunt, she sprint back to cover

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Interesting point.

Thats probably not true, especially if your high school team is playing games in the fall.

I believe what you say but those bang bang plays just dont happen all that often in the softball I have watched. I have however watched alot of teams who relegate there f6 to second and f5 or f1 to 3rd depending on who fields the bunt, and watched 3rd not get covered in time or not at all. I know, I know coaching and practice. I hadnt actually thought of the runner over running 2nd base a bit, I'll have to give that some thought.

I would like to see some actual stats on runners forced out at 2nd on a bunt if available. I just dont see it happen very often, but this is our first year playing 14u and not just watching so our view might be a little different :)

Our HS season is in the fall, so I don't think that makes a difference in skill level. But if you play any good 14U teams it might do you well to teach the runner going to 2nd on a bunt to be careful rounding the base too far. Many times the throw will already be on the way to 2nd as the runner is comming off the base to round it. Around here you are much more likely to see a runner hold the bag than round because of this.

I don't have any stats to help you, but let's just say that on a soft infield, where the bunt doesn't roll easily, or on a hard infield where the ball goes directly to the pitcher, it's nice to have someone ready for the throw at second. By 16U you will see alot of plays at 2nd. Best to get ready now. I don't like to 'concede' anything before the ball is put in play.

Aug 2, 2008
Our HS season is in the fall, so I don't think that makes a difference in skill level.

Gotcha, and you make some good points

Many times the throw will already be on the way to 2nd as the runner is comming off the base to round it.

Ok, are you talking as the first out? or from the first baseman after she records her out at first?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Ok, are you talking as the first out? or from the first baseman after she records her out at first?

We did this routinely at 12U last year, and by the end of the summer no team made a turn on us at second looking to go to third on a bunt.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Gotcha, and you make some good points

We did this routinely at 12U last year, and by the end of the summer no team made a turn on us at second looking to go to third on a bunt.

After the out at 1st, 1st fires to 2nd. After you tag a couple runners out at 2nd that round the bag without looking, they will stick to the bag unless no one is covering 3rd. Keeping them stuck to the bag at 2nd will make it irrelevant who covers 3rd, as long as someone is there.

I do prefer 3rd or pitcher covering, but that's not as critical as just having it covered by someone. The sooner the better.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I was always taught when I was younger that 2 and SS rotate left (2 covers 2nd and SS covers 3rd) with a runner on first while the pitcher and 3rd chase the bunt If hit down the 3rd base line. If it's hit down the first base line, 1st and 3rd chase the bunt and the pitcher covers first. That's assuming that it's not right back at the pitcher. I don't know if this is correct for FP but if its a viable option I certainly wouldn't mind using it in the future. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2011
As shown by the various responses in this thread, there is no universally correct answer to bunt coverage questions. It depends upon so many factors such as the ability of the fielders, the speed of the runners, what bases the runners are on, how sure you are that the batter will actually bunt, where the ball is bunted, how hard the ball is bunted, how many outs there are in the inning, what the score is, what inning, etc. Most good teams have several different bunt coverage plays that they will use depending on the situation.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
If there are runners on 1st and 2nd, then SS covers 3rd. 2nd still covers 1st because if they do bunt, the easiest out is still at 1st. SS takes the possible play on the lead runner. The runner going to 2nd, at this point, is not a priorety. With runners on 1st and 2nd normally 3rd will be playing in to guard against the bunt, so SS should be cheating toward 3rd to guard against the steal, and/or covering 3rd on a bunt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck