What's wrong with a pancake glove?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2015
I've always loved a well broken in glove. I see posts here saying they are worn out if they lay flat. Is this because kids don't have the strength to hold the glove open?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Most ground balls you shouldn't really catch, just kind of flip it to your throwing hand.

Catching is fine with pancake glove but that type of transfer is hard IMO.

(Mitt I use is 30+ years old, it might have lost a little of its shape so I am not one to complain. ��)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I have seen kids with flat gloves and every time the ball was hit to them they would fumble. The kid was all over the ball, but she is already handicapped because of her glove. I couldn't bring myself to tell her dad. He seemed to know everything already.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
You should see Eric Hosmer's (KC Royals) faded blue glove. He tried a new glove out after a ball went through the webbing, but he has had blue one re-laced several times and continues to use it. If you see it on TV you know it is pretty close to the equipment manager doing a mandatory retirement on the glove.

If your DD is still effective with her glove get it re-laced and play on. One players worn out glove is another players slightly broken in glove.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles