whats the average speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
It was said that some of the girls at the camps were too young (13), even though you have to be a freshman to go, and that top pitchers don't go to camps, only average ones.

Is it that hard to comprehend, really? What age of girls would be on a 14u team? And I never said that top pitchers don't go to camps, only average ones. I said that the truly elite pitchers, likely don't go to very many if at all.

We have a local girl here in town who had several coaches of top D1 schools (regularly in the WCWS) watching her in Moline this past season. Now I happen to know that her phone was rather busy after school started. In conversations with her mom, they are hoping that they can wrap something up so they don't HAVE to go through 4 years of showcases. If she commits, could you explain why she would want or need to go to these showcases for the next 4 years?? If she makes a commitment, how about sitting out, and letting the other pitchers on the team grab some spotlight and compete for coaches attention?
I've already explained average, as in the average pitcher you're going to see; not average as in talent or ability. Not sure that I can dumb that down any more for you. sigh...

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Come on. You said average pitchers means "the average pitcher you are going to see". That makes no sense if it doesn't mean the average talent type pitcher. Let's face it, the average pitcher you see will be average in talent because that's what it means. Don't change your story. Elite pitchers may not go to camps. There is nothing wrong in calling the best of the best elite and the rest average. Not everyone can be in the top group and get a ribbon.

Sep 3, 2009
Come on. You said average pitchers means "the average pitcher you are going to see". That makes no sense if it doesn't mean the average talent type pitcher. Let's face it, the average pitcher you see will be average in talent because that's what it means. Don't change your story. Elite pitchers may not go to camps. There is nothing wrong in calling the best of the best elite and the rest average. Not everyone can be in the top group and get a ribbon.

C'mon CoachFP.. I did use that word; I also said that wasn't the best word I could have used to describe them. The story never changed, rather I just tried to explain what I was saying. I probably didn't explain it very well; I'm not the greatest at getting my point across. When I watch college softball on the tube, the "average" pitcher that I see is anything BUT average. I see the Renfro's, and Ricketts, and Fowlers; hardly average huh? But they are the ones you're going to see all the time, are they not? I don't ever recall seeing the 3rd string bullpen pitcher, but I know they exist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors