whats the average speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
I know this has probably been asked thousands of times. But just wondering what speeds are average per age.:confused: I really would like some real speeds not" my dd throws 60mph and is only 10yo " I'am just wondering ? I will tell you the truth my dd is 12yo and she averages about 45mph has hit 48mph once. Just want to know what are goals are to set.

May 21, 2010
Davenport, IA
First off, I am NOT a pitching coach, just a dad coaching a team. I have had the opportunity to use the radar gun on most of the pitchers in our organization. I can only offer the following:

our softmore H.S. pitcher is between 48-50mph with lots of movement
one 14yo pitcher is 50-52mph with some movement
other 14yo pitcher is 49-52mph - fastball only
one 13yo pitcher is 46-48mph
other 13yo pitcher is 44-46mph
12yo pitcher is 40-44mph
one 11yo pitcher is 38-40mph
other 11yo pitcher is 37-39mph

Jul 26, 2010
At what level of play?

I coach an ASA B travel ball team. My pitcher's "fastball" speed vary from 41mph for my slowest (average of 5 pitches) to 53 mph for my fastest. The smallest girl is the slowest and most accurate, the fastest is the tallest least accurate. 60mph at 12 is not common but it does happen (especially out here in kalifornia).

The goals you should set should be based on where she is now and where she wants to go, along with how her growth spurts are timed. You can't say "my daughter should pitch 50mph", but you can say, "my daughter should pick up 2mph by the end of summer if we focus on fixing X".

-W

May 21, 2010
Davenport, IA
At what level of play?

I coach an ASA B travel ball team. My pitcher's "fastball" speed vary from 41mph for my slowest (average of 5 pitches) to 53 mph for my fastest. The smallest girl is the slowest and most accurate, the fastest is the tallest least accurate. 60mph at 12 is not common but it does happen (especially out here in kalifornia).

The goals you should set should be based on where she is now and where she wants to go, along with how her growth spurts are timed. You can't say "my daughter should pitch 50mph", but you can say, "my daughter should pick up 2mph by the end of summer if we focus on fixing X".

-W

Good point! This is kinda the direction our organization is working with.

Feb 9, 2011
Most 12u pitcher I have seen playing A ball throw at least 50MPH with the strongest pitcher throwing 57-58MPH. Two weeks ago I saw a 99 with the Birmingham Bolt throw a consistant 58MPH fastball on three different guns.

That bieng said my 99 throws consistent strikes at 45MPH but she can hit 54MPH the mechanics just arent tuned in enough to pitch at this speed. Our pitching coach has told her to throw the hardest she can and is working on the accuracy with her and it's getting better. Said it would set her back for a few months but is the best thing for her long term so we went with it. She is the number three pitcher anyway unitl the 98's move up in the fall.

Jan 25, 2011
At what level of play?

IThe goals you should set should be based on where she is now and where she wants to go, along with how her growth spurts are timed. You can't say "my daughter should pitch 50mph", but you can say, "my daughter should pick up 2mph by the end of summer if we focus on fixing X".

-W

I like your thinking. I really like the way my dd is pitching. She is trying to learn all over again. She use to bring her hib through but we are getting away from that , thats how her old pc taught. We went to a clinic with cat and we started the change to being open. I like her to be open and so does my dd. I like how my dd is accurate and hits her locations. Cat said that they will get faster as she grows too. so starsnuffer do you think it allright to not worry about speed , or do we see where she is at now and than check her at the end of summer. Her coach seems to think that she has to throw faster.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My students start out (no matter the age) trying to reach 30. After a year, they are at 40, then it creeps up from there. If they started with an 11 " ball and at 35 feet, there is some catch up time, when their speed drops down.

2 young 11s that have pitched for me for 3 years are at 45 and top out at 48. But, I am not seeing that in their games. They appear to be much slower.

A new 13 YO student that just started isn't at 30, yet.

The top 8th grader that I have is at mid 50s, but she is exceptional.

My DD was 54 in H.S.

Jul 26, 2010
My philosophy is that they should always "throw fast". By that, I mean that the pitcher should always practice and pitch at at least 85% of their top speed. In reality, you should always try to get them to throw their fastest. The reason for this is that you only have to fix their mechanics once that way. If you let them back off, then when they start throwing full speed again, more things break.

I think that you should focus on mechanics, not speed. Speed is the symptom, not the cause. As her mechanics improve, so will her speed.

I had to do a complete "reset" with my daughter as well, so I know where you're coming from. Her speed, accuracy, and "number of pitches" suffered, and after 4 months she's finally getting her speed back to where it was. . . but she's doing it with a lot less noticeable effort and it's easy to see that there is more potential there as her body gets used to the new mechanics.

At 12u, speed makes a huge difference. You can put in a 12 year old who can throw 60mph down the middle and she'll beat a lot of teams that way. . . however the same pitcher will be useless at 14u. Focus on working with your daughter and improving, but even if she doesn't end up being the #1 or #2 pitcher this year, she'll be better off in the long run.

-W

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I think that is about right Amy. I see guns vary. the Jugs seem to often read 2 mph faster than the inexpensive Bushnell from what I have experienced. 2 mph is a lot. It is more like the difference between $20 - $40 rather that $2 - $4.

More exceptional 10U's in Ohio probably run it up there at 47 - 49. My 10U dd is at 43 - 45 (maybe a little better) and most just above average 10U's are at 41 -43. Most are sub 40.

More exceptional 12U's in Ohio probably run it up there at 53 - 56 and most above average 12U's are at 48 -51/52. Most are sub 50.

14U is a different animal. Depending on development with exceptional ones you can see some high 50's and a rare 60 with a really good one. Most vary anywhere between 47 - 54ish.

Jan 25, 2011
Thanks to all of you. I don't want to be that dad that worries about speed. It is hard enough on my dd to change her mechanics right now and worry about her speed. I wish 4 years ago when she started pitching. We knew then what we do now . They want my dd to be the #2 pitcher and I don't think she will be ready , I don't tell my dd that. I singed her up for rec. ball , thinking it might help. TB team just had to many girls move up to 14u and that left a big hole in pitching this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie