What do I Mean

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I'd really like to know how you get videos with a clear image of the hand at release as well. I've been trying to find a camera that will give me something clear(ish) without breaking the bank and so far I can't find anything. I made the GoPro guys' life miserable at a BestBuy today. Believe it or not I brought my computer and had him capture a video of DDs motion in the middle of the camera dept so I could download it and look at the results in Kinovea. At 120 FPS her had was still a blur. We tried the burst mode on the camera and her arm was invisible. Believe it or not the best results I've had so far are on a cheap point and shoot Kodak.

Mr. Peas... the image of you bringing your dd into a store and having her pitch to test out cameras is freakin' priceless! I've been laughing for the last couple minutes... that's so awesome...

Anyway... I am in noooo way a camera dude... but what little I do know I'll share with you...

Believe it or not, 60fps is fast enough. The older mini-dv's with firewire cable will get you better quality than many point and shoot units. The reason is that they record in a non-compressed avi format. Most recorders use compressed video storage types... like mpeg... So... going a little old-school can actually yield pretty decent results. That's one option...

The biggest problem you encountered at the store was probably due in part to indoor lighting and what most of these cameras come packaged with... which is auto exposure. You want a camera with manual exposure/shutter control. I don't know if the goPro comes with that option... you could probably hack it... but to me that's not worth it. So... since the backlighting indoors is less than ideal, the auto exposure chosen by the camera will be lower... and the result is smooth, albeit blurry image.

So... long story short, you'd be better off using or buying a new camera that allows for MANUAL exposure settings... and indoors you're going to want to be over a 1/2000 setting... but even with that, lighting is key... and if it's not there, your playback will be crisp darker frames unless you can adjust iso... which makes it grainier, but lighter...

I know that casio has/had manual exposure options... not sure what other brands do. But... no matter what, lighting is your enemy. Take that camera you were looking at out of the store on a sunny day... and have your dd stand in front of the southern sky... and it will work as advertised. Otherwise, automatic exposure cameras, IMO, are junk.

Hope that helps. ~JS

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
^^^I know.....she was a total trooper though, poor kid has no idea that people don't do stuff like this. Just wait till we need to buy her a new bed and I have her spend the night at Bed Bath and Beyond.

I have an old mini DV cam and that was were my journey started. It is OK but getting the video ported over to a computer is a pain in the butt. We also have a Cannon DSLR but I don't know how to use it. We have a new HD camcorder that is great video quality but sucks for slo mo. M and M recommended a Casio also, an Exilim, and it looks promising, now if I can just find a place to buy it.

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
The only models I've heard that are worth it are the fh100 and the lesser recommended fh20. They allow for manual iso, shutter,etc. You definitely will need to become intimate with the user manual, but the fact that you can adjust the exposure for low light in addition to the shutter is what you are after.

Ebay sells them in the 300-400 range...

The upgrade from the mini will be worth it... as I know that porting pain all too well. I think the 240fps is like one frame every 3-4 inches (for a 50-60 mph moving object).

If you do get a manual setting camera, let me know if you need help minimizing blur... there's actually a math formula for that... and it's where most people get pissy. Remember though, most automatics will set shutter at 1/1000, or 1/2000... which is most likely the blur you saw earlier... and is NOT adjustable.

Sorry for getting all techy... but I also remember hearing that flourescent lights flicker at an equivalent rate of 120fps... which is why a lot of people complain of the camera causing flicker... when in reality it's the lighting.

Careful though, many of the newer models are auto-only... the two I mention are adjustable... not sure about the others you mentioned. Siobhan knows that stuff... you might ask for more details on the newer exilim models...

If you get something that rocks... please let me know.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Check this out... This guy was putting the camera to the test...testing

HighSpeed.gif
slo.gif

On the left I slowed the (Regular speed ???)...not bad. Could use it for other family stuff too.
I'm taking it that the dark is with the 1000fpm... :{(( too much work, & not good enough. Of course it would all depend on settings...ect. I was thinking he got pretty good reg. video, so probably gave it his best with the 1000fpm ??? He didn't post anymore... either disoppinted, or went pro...lol...I'm looking at it from what happens here... You Tube>.gif, then how it looks on here...after being stepped on... encoded/re-encoded 2-4 times.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Here is another one.... testing... but he don't say which one... plus it was a year ago, so must not be the latest... ??? shows some promise.

1.gif

I wonder why the manufacturer doesn't make a clip of hitting? I seen the Stone you-tube video on here, & he said he was working with them??? So here is what we need:

Be able to throw it in the bat bag
Get great 600fps day/night & inside/outside
Wifi download directly to DFP....

My problem is I've seen the 600fps....and not settling for less :(

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
All about the lighting. These were taken with the same $80 Kodak Play cam.

This gif was made by BoardMember. Video shot in my basement. Lighting not so great.
200plae.gif

This one was made by PC, original video shot on a bright sunny day.
fp27.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32